Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if this is in the wrong forum section.

My vet prescribed a new heartworm medication, Sentinel Spectrum. It comes in this weird kind of beefy chew that I gave to him with his meal. He immediately went after it and chewed it up, but after a few bites, he ran away to a different area to sit down, shaking his head violently a few times, as if there was something on his head that was bothering him.

He ate the rest of his meal, drank water, and is, for now behaving normally. I masked the remaining medicine in some peanut butter for him to eat and he eventually got the whole thing, but he was still shaking his head and getting away from where the treat had been afterwards.

Is this abnormal? Does the head shaking thing mean he just doesn't like the taste? I've never seen that behavior before, but I am very new to all this (first time dog owner).

Just want to make sure he'll be okay. I'm always weary of medications.

I'll of course keep monitoring him.

Thank you!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Faith shakes her head too if she doesn't like the taste of something. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Keep an eye on him and maybe talk with your vet about a different product. Heartworm medicine comes in so many different forms. My dogs will ONLY eat Heartguard and spit out everything else, no matter the amount of peanut butter I put on it. :D

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I was giving mine trifexis but took them off it in favor of sentinel, because of all the issues dogs were having on it (and my own dogs were not doing great on it, either). They will also spit it out, which is why I crush it in a pill crusher and put it in their food (they get a supplement that makes their food a gravy, and one dog gets raw in her kibble). I have seen that the ones that are kind of powdery like an antiacid tablet have this "medicine" smell to it and the dogs wont eat them by themselves either, so thats why I crush it up in their food.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts