Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 rescues have been on Sentinel and Interceptor but since the Novartis plant is offline, I am looking for other recommendations. My vet suggested Heartguard but I have read about some potential effectiveness problems plus my 4 dogs are mixed breeds so they may have some herding genetics. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
i don't recommend heartgard or triheart anymore, I had three positive. I was under the impression it is only failing in the Mississippi valley area, however I would use caution. I now use ivermectin, weight based injectable, given orally. Same drug as heartgard but dosing is very different, this is not veterinarian approved for certain reasons. Though this was worked out with my vet.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
We use Heartgard here. I've used TriHeart in the past. I have had no issues. For the "herding genetics" you can eliminate the worry by testing for the gene mutation that effects ivermectin (and numerous other drugs) metabolism in the body. The gene is MDR1. The test can be blood through a vet's office or a cheek swab from vet or home. Currently only one lab in the U.S. does the testing (and in IMO it is well worth it). I tested Sierra (my mini American aka mini aussie). She is Normal/Normal - so she has no issues with ivermectin. You can have Normal/Mutant or Mutant/Mutant in addition to the possibility of Normal/Normal. This will assist in determining which drug and what dosage would be best for your dog.
The website: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We use Heartgard here. I've used TriHeart in the past. I have had no issues. For the "herding genetics" you can eliminate the worry by testing for the gene mutation that effects ivermectin (and numerous other drugs) metabolism in the body. The gene is MDR1. The test can be blood through a vet's office or a cheek swab from vet or home. Currently only one lab in the U.S. does the testing (and in IMO it is well worth it). I tested Sierra (my mini American aka mini aussie). She is Normal/Normal - so she has no issues with ivermectin. You can have Normal/Mutant or Mutant/Mutant in addition to the possibility of Normal/Normal. This will assist in determining which drug and what dosage would be best for your dog.
The website: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/
Thanks for this information Charis.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Just FYI, milbemycin, the active ingredient in Interceptor, is also on the list of MDR1 "caution" drugs (there is a full list available at the WSU website). Not sure why the misinformation persists that ivermectin is the only heartworm preventative that can cause problems. In any case, the dosages of these drugs used for heartworm prevention is low enough to be safe for MDR1 affected dogs, anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts