Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yea I am not one to really look to wolves on how to feed my dogs (half raw feeder though!) They are dogs, not wolves, I don't personally believe my dogs need to eat the exact diet of a wolf. Region also matters a lot too on what is "natural". My country borders the North Sea, so before dog food, dogs ate a largely fish based diet here (actually us humans here do too ? we practically live off of fish). So I wouldn't call fish unnatural for dogs in general. Dogs are very adaptable and thrive on what is "normal" for the area.

I feed my dogs cooked salmon or haring when I can, other times I use fish oil. Works great for my dog who used to be very crusty lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hmm that is tough! The only animal sources of Omega 3 I am aware of are fish and grass fed meat. Lamb is usually the highest in omega 3s compared to other meats, even when not fully grass fed.

And I agree, I would rather get no Omega 3 than regularly feed fish from polluted waters. It takes quite a lot of fish to equal the same amount of O3s in the average supplement. If you can find a fish oil supplement sourced from somewhere else that would probably be your best bet. I think if the only alternative is polluted fish, your dog would be better off without though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.