Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we're bringing our younger pup Koda into the vet. He's supposed to be a collie/corgi, his mother is corgi father collie. Although, he doesn't get high bursts of energy unless it's for food. This pup could eat and eat and eat, throw up, and eat again I swear!

We have him on an hour and a half schedule. He goes outside for twenty minutes, I stay out there with a treat and wait for him to potty when he goes I treat him. It doesn't usually take long. I have Balou, our saint, preform a trick so he's not left out and treat him. I go in, the boys stay out for twenty minutes. They come in, Koda gets twenty minutes of free roaming before he's put into the kennel. The Kennel is in our living room, I'm looking right at it. He is pretty good with kennel training though. He comes out of the kennel and we rinse and repeat.

So, what's the issue? He still pees. He hasn't pooped in the house in about two months. However, he still pees. It's not a little dribble either, it's full on giant puddle. It's about once or twice a day. Balou was so easy to train compared to Koda.

There are times where I swear this puppy just wants to be a brat! He learned how to sit early on, he's a smart dog. He learned how to jump up and how to lay down and to come when called. Here's the strange thing, every now and then it's like he totally forgets ALL of his training and decides he just wants a treat or decides he just doesn't want to behave.

It was so bad one day Balou was sleeping in the living room and I was trying to get Koda to sit, he knew perfectly well how to do it yesterday and the day before so why not today? Koda starts barking impatiently because I haven't given up the treat. Balou wakes up slumps into the kitchen looks at me then looks at Koda and sits. When that doesn't work he puts his paw on the back side of Koda, gets him to sit, and sits again. Yeah, I gave Balou a treat. LOL After he slumped back into the living room and fell back to sleep.

Koda is still a pup, he's five months old, I get it but sometimes I just want to run outside and scream... We're going to take him into the vet just in case to see if he has a bladder issue or what not.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
That is so cute! Hope Balou can help you with the other sticky bits of bringing up Koda.

Bucky wasn't able to tell us he needed to go potty for a long time. No idea what the issue was but it took ages. To complicate things he often needs to go potty 3x in an hour after dinner. Annoying but he really needs to go. Ginger took a long time to figure out how to signal us but she has a sphincter of steel and will hold for 18 hours if I don't force the issue by taking her on an actual walk.

At 5 months from what I understand he can hold it for a few seconds after he has the urge. Basically right now you are catching him when you use a good schedule which is only the first step of house training. Next step is him signalling he needs to go, you learning that signal and most important - being able to get him out before there's a puddle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope so too. It's hilarious to see the way they interact. Balou is almost three now and is just about done growing, he's been filling out nicely. If Koda is barking too much he does this drive by cat type lean thing to Koda grooms him for a moment then gets back on the couch or floor and passes out again. He's a Saint they're so lumpy LOL.

You're right! He doesn't signal quite yet. There has been a few times where he will run to the back door but that's it, I treated him heavily when he did it because it's great signalling. He ah just ran up the stairs and peed on them though because my husband was getting up from a nap and he didn't want to go outside. Sigh... Sometimes I have to pick him up in order to get him outside. He's more concerned about what's going on in here rather than going to the bathroom outside. Once he's out though he enjoys himself. It's just annoying...

We got the chewing/biting thing down. That was a huge issue. "No bite," works well with him. We got the barking thing down, for the most part. We got the "leave your brother alone," down. And "Don't eat the cat." It's just every now and then he wants to be a total brat. He knows more tricks than Balou does! Balou wasn't willing but that's fine because he knows enough to behave, he doesn't need to release energy like Koda. I swear this little brat cocks his head to the side and flops an ear and contemplates on obeying or not!

Sigh, time in time... With some patience. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts