Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally broke down and got the headcollar for Rosie's pulling. I was not making any headway on the training and I could not take the pulling anymore.

It has been a lifesaver so far. I've had it about a week and I've already started to regain feeling in my leash arm.

only problem is that she spends a lot of time and energy rubbing her face to get it off. whether it is with her paws or rubbing her head in the grass, it freaks me out. yesterday she came home and her nose was bleeding from so much rubbing.

When she does this I give her the uh-uh and she stops. I also treat her when she doesn't go at it.

Yet she still pulls at it. So am I doing anything wrong here? Any tips on reinforcing not trying to get the headcollar off?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yeah... you need to maker the pup used to the collar..
Try this!

When you are putting the collar on her, feed her lots of tasty treats, so she links the collar with good,and happy stuff!

When walking keep feeding her treats, stop feeding if she rubs it with the paws, when she stops, keep feeding and walking.

This is the problem with most head collars..

I found the Canny Collar to be the best of the headcollar family.. first it doesn't do a harsh neck movement when the dog pulls, second, it's loose and light enough on their mouths that dogs don't notice it, they will only notice when they pull (this collar, unlike the halti, or gentle leaders, makes preassure on the dogs mouth rather than bending his or her neck)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts