Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was driving to school, jamming to the oldies, I passed a dog. He was a cute old cream colored mutt of unknown origin. He first look up the road, then down the road, and I thought "great, this dog is going to run out in front of me, I'll end up hitting it (started thinking about the day that I hit a boxerX), and I'll be late for school, AGAIN." So I slowed down as I passed him, but he ignored me. I watched him from my rearview mirror as he looked both ways to make sure that nothing was coming, then cross the road. It made me laugh.

Then, about 3 miles down the road, I spied in the distance a HUGE black mass that made me think "GRIZZLY BEAR," which was absurd because we don't have grizzly bears in kentucky. It ended up being 3 black cows grazing on the side of the highway.

does anyone ever have weird mornings like this?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I do definitely think some dogs and cats have street smarts. We unfortunately have a TON of feral cats but I never really see any get hit. I guess they learn!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I passed a stray barn cat a few days ago that did the same thing. he was sitting on the shoulder of the road and looked and saw me and then I passed by him slowly and then after I passed I watched as he looked both ways again and then crossed the road.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
on my way home it was raining like a mother trucker, and this cat just bolted out in front of me. Good thing I was going about 15 under the SL or else I would have smashed him. :(

If I saw a black grizzly bear I would be shocked!!:eek:
lol. It was early morning, so everything was in the inbetween stage of light and dark.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Last night on the way home from work down a country road two beagle-like puppies (c. 4 months old) ran in front of my car. I was going about 65 mph. Yikes! I didn't hit them, thank goodness. Turned around and went back to find them but they were long gone across the field. :(

This morning I was on the way to work on the same road when I see a big pile of feathery road kill in the road. The female duck of a mating pair had been hit by a car and was laying dead in the road. I've passed this little family of ducks 2x a day for almost a month and wondered every time I see them whether they knew to stay out of the road. Guess not. :( :(

·
Banned
749 Posts
Last night on the way home from work down a country road two beagle-like puppies (c. 4 months old) ran in front of my car. I was going about 65 mph. Yikes! I didn't hit them, thank goodness. Turned around and went back to find them but they were long gone across the field. :(

This morning I was on the way to work on the same road when I see a big pile of feathery road kill in the road. The female duck of a mating pair had been hit by a car and was laying dead in the road. I've passed this little family of ducks 2x a day for almost a month and wondered every time I see them whether they knew to stay out of the road. Guess not. :( :(
Guess they also did not know to never cross the road unless they are in the area with the "Ducks Crossing Road" sign.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
One time my boyfriend and I were driving to the gas station just after it had gotten dark, and it was storming like crazy. I had just gotten finished telling him not to speed in case something jumped out on front of him, especially in the rain, when suddenly a white lab-ish looking mix darted across the road a few yards in front of us!! There was another car next to us, so the dog had to weave around like Frogger to get to the other side. As soon as we got to the gas station (Also a hang-out for some police officers) we informed some of the officers of where we had seen the dog, what it looked like, and what direction it was heading. My boyfriend was super shaken up by the whole ordeal, and needless to say, he drove about 10 miles under the speed limit the whole way home.

I really hope they found that dog!! =(

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
My parents cat will sit and look both ways before he crosses the road. We got him because my mom hit him with the car, I guess he learned his lesson about looking. We tried to keep him indoors and fought with him for a few years about staying in, but my parents got sick of it, he was always getting out anyways, so now he is an indoor/outdoor cat.

In moscow they have a lot of stray dogs and the dogs have learned to cross the street without getting hit. They wait with crowds of people (who are waiting for the light) and when the people start to cross, the dogs cross.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We don't give animals enouph credit sometimes. They do have the ability to be quite brilliant imo.

Actually, I was riding my bike one day and some ducks were about to cross the trail in front of me. So I stop for a bit to let them go, and I guess they stopped to do the same for me. So I went ahead and kept riding and when I looked back, they were crossing the trail.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
lol. It was early morning, so everything was in the inbetween stage of light and dark.
It's the Twilight Zone :eek:

Good thing you passed by - in the Twilight Zone, those cows speak english and make humans chew their cud for them! :D

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Then, about 3 miles down the road, I spied in the distance a HUGE black mass that made me think "GRIZZLY BEAR," which was absurd because we don't have grizzly bears in kentucky. It ended up being 3 black cows grazing on the side of the highway.

does anyone ever have weird mornings like this?
There has been a few times when I'm going into town and there have been cows standing in the road because there was a break in the fence line. lol There are quite stubborn about moving out of the way...:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts