Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So even though he's not going on the training pads on his own, we still have to pick him up and put him on it. We found out yesterday that he likes to poop in a dark area and not on the same pee pad. Is that normal? I mean, it does make sense about wanting privacy when he poops, however, he's ok peeing in front of us. But when it comes to doing #2....he rather be in the dark. So now I have two training pads out. He's a 7 week old Frenchton. Just leave it?

And also, i hear so many DOs & DONTs of potty training. What helped your pup?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I didn't use the pads but I think that makes sense! It might just be his personal preference. I know one of my cats will pee in one litter box and then switch to a different box right after to poop.

For potty training, I just consistently rewarded each and every time she went outside. Inside, when she had accidents, I showed no emotion or frustration and just cleaned it up and went on with life. If I caught her midstream, I would sometimes use a clap to interrupt her and carry her quickly outside to finish, and reward out there. It's very important not to get upset about accidents because they're going to happen, all the time probably at first, and the last thing you want is a dog that sneaks away in the house to go. If you're clicker training, clicking as they finish going, right before you treat, is good too!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would love to take him outside. But he's not ready yet, he's only had his 1st shots. And the vet said he shouldn't be going outside till he's had all his shots (16 weeks).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Check out Fresh Patch....you can buy it from Amazon.com or the Fresh Patch website. They deliver a box of grass to you on the schedule you choose (once or a recurring schedule). I think the transition to taking your dog outside will be easier if he is using real grass in the house instead of a pee pad...& you will hopefully have less issues with him going on soft surfaces like carpet thinking it is a pee pad. Since it is real grass, you don't have to clean it....you just throw it away & get a replacement every week or two (depending on your dog's volume of waste).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out Fresh Patch....you can buy it from Amazon.com or the Fresh Patch website. They deliver a box of grass to you on the schedule you choose (once or a recurring schedule). I think the transition to taking your dog outside will be easier if he is using real grass in the house instead of a pee pad...& you will hopefully have less issues with him going on soft surfaces like carpet thinking it is a pee pad. Since it is real grass, you don't have to clean it....you just throw it away & get a replacement every week or two (depending on your dog's volume of waste).
Wow that sounds really good!! I might just order one and try it out. Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts