Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my new guy Perseus. he is an Argentine Dogo. Right now he is 14 weeks and about 36lbs. Many people ask me if he is a Pitbull, but I kindly tell them they can put down their kids and not worry. Although, my first choice for a dog was a Pitbull, my apartment complex does not allow them. They obviously have no idea what they are talking about. They ban German Shepards, but a Belgian Malinois is fine. No Pitbulls, but I can have a Dogo. lol. Go figure that one out! Anyways, here are some pictures of the fierce beast.

He is the all white one :wave:

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
just so you know its dogo argentino...
I'd blame spellcheck/autocorrect for that one.

That said: He is BEAUTIFUL, OP. And people are sometimes kind of. Slow about breeds.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I'd blame spellcheck/autocorrect for that one.
nope, i wouldnt, its like that in every thread this person writes. in addition, its not posted from a phone, or it would say so on the bottom

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
nope, i wouldnt, its like that in every thread this person writes. in addition, its not posted from a phone, or it would say so on the bottom
I don't /didn't know the history, but I get spell-check on firefox. And it insists Argentino is not a word. Argentine is. OTOH, it doesn't fix it for me when I manually type it, either.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
all i know is that if youre going to own a breed, you might want to know what it is.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Here is my new guy Perseus. he is an Argentine Dogo. Right now he is 14 weeks and about 36lbs. Many people ask me if he is a Pitbull, but I kindly tell them they can put down their kids and not worry. Although, my first choice for a dog was a Pitbull, my apartment complex does not allow them. They obviously have no idea what they are talking about. They ban German Shepards, but a Belgian Malinois is fine. No Pitbulls, but I can have a Dogo. lol. Go figure that one out! Anyways, here are some pictures of the fierce beast.

He is the all white one :wave:
He is a good looking dog and he's sure going to be a big one too :)

I do hope though that you aren't implying that people couldn't let their kids around a pit bull....

And word of warning- many people have found the hard way that even having papers on a purebred doesn't stop an apartment complex (or other places/situations with breed bans) from considering their dog a pit bull. If you move, watch out for the wording of "pit bulls or pit bulls TYPES" in a lease since they'll call a Dogo a "pit bull type." Cane Corsos, Dogos and similar breeds run into this problem with insurance, leases and such.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Well, yeah. That much I agree with. If she's doing it consistently it's kind of annoying. I try not to judge too much by typing and spelling errors in general, though, and without knowing the history one letter off is not much more notable to me than a lack of capitalization.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
I can post from my iPhone with no difference at all in the post (other than having to type on a tiny screen which does make errors more likely for me).

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I have got to stop spending so much time online. The reversal of the words didn't even register.

Take the easy out. Call him a dogo. God knows I call my rat terrier a rat. Or a brat.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Dogo Argentino is just Spanish for Argentinean Dog anyway, so who cares? A Google search shows me that some people do refer to it as the Argentine Dogo or Argentine Mastiff.

Lovely dog, OP, and I'm glad he has a nice temperament so far. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys! Actually when I am speaking with people familiar with the breed I usually say/speak Dogo Argentino. I wasn't aware so many people were familiar with this breed! I usually try to kill two birds with one stone to try to let people know they started out in Argentina. Lol. Laziness on my part!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He is a good looking dog and he's sure going to be a big one too :)

I do hope though that you aren't implying that people couldn't let their kids around a pit bull....

And word of warning- many people have found the hard way that even having papers on a purebred doesn't stop an apartment complex (or other places/situations with breed bans) from considering their dog a pit bull. If you move, watch out for the wording of "pit bulls or pit bulls TYPES" in a lease since they'll call a Dogo a "pit bull type." Cane Corsos, Dogos and similar breeds run into this problem with insurance, leases and such.
I am by no way implying that people can not let their children around pit bulls. I love Pitbulls, and it was my first choice of breed. My friend has a blue that he takes rock climbing with us. He is often off leash and carries a backback with our extra climbing gear and such. I love the initial response he gets. He is close to 75lbs of solid muscle. At first people get a little frightened, but then they notice the backpack, gear, and how friendly and well trained he is. It helps dispel the stereotype of the breed. Kind of like when you meet a really nice and helpful LEO. I have always had Akitas, but they too are banned from my complex. Perseus is registered at the front office, and all the girls love him, so no problems so far. He is doing so well with the other animals and dogs around. He has been nipped once by an older lady's terrier, but oh well.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Jeez, I'm sorry for all the attitude you're getting in this thread, OP. Your pup is lovely. I've spoken to a woman walking her dogo around town a few times and he's a really nice dog I've always admired. Welcome to the forum. :)

1 - 20 of 98 Posts