Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nash injured his freaken toe and has to be kept quiet for 2 weeks or so. He jammed his nail on his outer toe on his left hind leg into a stick or stump or log or something. There was a small sliver under the nail and he broke his nail where it attaches to the bone or something like that. Its still on there, but loose. The vet left it on in hopes that it will stay on for a couple of weeks until new nail starts growing, so when it does come off there is a huge bloody mess. he is on antibiotics and she gave him a shot of painkillers because he is being a huge baby about it. Just whining and screaming if we even look at the foot. :rolleyes:

Anyway, leash walks are not enough for this dog. He needs to run and swim and jump and . . . AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I am going to wrap the foot/toe/nail and put a boot on it so he can run around without risking ripping the nail off. I don't know how I am going to handle it when he gets his belly button fixed at the end of August. We are doing lots of training sessions too and I am feeding him his meals out of toys, but it all pales in comparison to a couple of hours at the park and a few miles on the bike. :eek:

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Don't you wish dogs watched tv sometimes? That way when they're sick or injured, you could just set them up with a few yummy snacks, some chocolate milk, and the remote so they can channel surf and snooze the day away in front of the tube until they're all better. HA!

Best wishes to both for a speedy recovery!

p.s. could you wrap his foot in a plastic bag and take him swimming? I sprained my ankle when I was a kid and my mom wrapped the whole thing in plastic so I could still swim without getting my bandages wet.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Not sure how this will go over, but I hear Benadryl works quite well..

·
Registered
207 Posts
This happened to our aussie last year. She broke the nail right back to the quick and it was hanging on by a thread. After I cleaned it, I would pack it with neosporin and wrap it with some gauze tape covered by vet wrap, a strip or two of waterproof tape to keep it from unwrapping and good to go. This kept the nail clean, dry and from tearing off. She would go out and play with it on, she would also go for short walks with it. I would just change that bandage daily. I had to do it for a few weeks until the nail started to grow over the quick again, but she was able to stay busy and pain free this way.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Hehe... I wish Nash was like my Donatello. He is happy doing whatever I'm doing... If I lay on the couch all day, he's right there beside me snoozing. If I take him over to my father's he's happy running around their yard non-stop. lol!

My best wishes to Nash for a speedy, but calm recovery. : )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts