Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i had a thread about how my sunday morning had started, catching a stray dog. today i called the vet about her rabies tag to get the owners info. the vet called the owner and had him call me. i had a feeling in my gut this would happen.... but of course he says "yeah, i dont want the dog anymore..." i almost started to cry. how? how do you just decide "i dont want it anymore"? i held back my anger as he explained to me that he is a disabled vet and he doesnt have a fenced in yard and this is the 3rd time shes taken off on him. (well duh....) he says she pulls when he takes her out on leash and she hates cats. (i figured that bit of information out on my own...... hates my kitten.... but she doesnt pull me on leash at all). its just amazing how disposable dogs are to people. im having a hard time trying to find a home for her now, because i have become attached to her in the 26hours that ive had her. shes with me at work today and im giving her a nice bath and clipping her extremely long nails. she will be staying at my mothers house until i find her a good home. though im hoping my mother falls in love with her enough that SHE will be her forever home... i really wish i could keep this dog, shes AMAZING. i cant believe someone would not want her....

·
Registered
891 Posts
As someone who is today celebrating the one year anniversary of adopting my beloved Molly, I cannot imagine ever saying that I didn't want her anymore.

Bless you for helping this dog.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
i check petfinder and craigslist every day. it makes me tear up every single time. i would remove my arm before i would give up my dog and these people are all, "whatevs, starve or get hit by a car dog who loves me more than anything."

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I can't imagine how many good dogs are disposed of, buddy it one of them, he was found as a stray when he wondered onto a woman's property much as this girl did yours. They don't know if he jumped out of the back of someone's truck or what, he doesn't seem thr wondering type but he does have abandonment issues (he HATES it when I leave him somewhere.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I can't imagine how many good dogs are disposed of, buddy it one of them, he was found as a stray when he wondered onto a woman's property much as this girl did yours. They don't know if he jumped out of the back of someone's truck or what, he doesn't seem thr wondering type but he does have abandonment issues (he HATES it when I leave him somewhere.
Kabota's the same. He clearly does not expect me to come back for him when I leave him at the groomer. I can understand why, though. In the space of two weeks, he was abandoned at the shelter, transported to the vet, transported to the foster, foster for 10 days, then transported to the head of the rescue, then transported to me.

I should count myself lucky he's not terrified of car rides.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
:[

People are awful. How do you just one day decided that you do not want this creature that has mostly done nothing but adore and love you? Not being able to keep your pet is one thing. To up and decide you don't want it anymore it another.

Diesel watches my car go. I can barely even walk to a neighbor's house without him having a freak out. But I suppose it comes with the territory when having a dog that was thrown out WITH someone's trash.
People miss out on the best dogs.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I found a dog once (an elderly Lab), and when the guy came to get him he asked if I wanted to keep him. I kind of thought he was joking so I laughed it off and he didn't push the subject. . .but now I feel bad thinking I may have sent the dog to his death :(. Ugh.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yep, I'm with you guys. It's something I don't understand, especially when you've had a dog for some time or even years. I've had Jax only since January 7th, and yet I can't imagine not having him. I've had Turbo, my cat, for just over a year now, and again... My previous cat, Sparkplug, I had her about a year when I gave her to my grandparents when I couldn't take her with me for several months. Even that was a little tough at first, despite knowing she'd get a great home with them.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
That is a shame! I have often seen elderly dogs in the humane society with their kennel cards reading " Owner surrendered" ... I loathe it! I am just glad you rescued her from being in the streets.

I too hope she pulls at your Mother's heart strings and gets a forever home. I will say a little prayer tonight for her. :)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*sigh* right now, im praying shes not pregnant! when the owner called me i just got some basic info from him name, age, how long he had her, and if she was spayed. he told me her name is sasha, shes about 3yrs old, he had her for a year and he said that when he got her and she went into the vets, the vet couldnt determine if she was spayed or not. i just let it slide since he said he didnt want her anymore. i talked to the vet later on and told them the situation since he didnt return my call asking to have her records released to me. the vet called him and left a message that if he didnt get back to them by wednesday they would be releasing the records to me. in the meantime the vets were appauled by this, but also said the guy was not a good owner and that the dog had a very lucky break to get away and find me. they told me that he only had her in one time and got her rabies shot and refused everything else, AND she was in heat when she came in and he denied getting her spayed. heres the kicker, when i got her i walked her all over my neighborhood and drove her around asking EVERYONE if they had ever seen the dog, everyone said no. he lives literally a few doors down from me :( never even bothered to look for her......

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Kabota's the same. He clearly does not expect me to come back for him when I leave him at the groomer. I can understand why, though. In the space of two weeks, he was abandoned at the shelter, transported to the vet, transported to the foster, foster for 10 days, then transported to the head of the rescue, then transported to me.

I should count myself lucky he's not terrified of car rides.
He is ok when I leave him at home, but when I leave him in their excersise pen while I feed our outside horses here, or in a stall (wish a fan) when we rise & repeat in the pm. He acts like I have left him there for days lol & he greats me like I've been gone for years lol.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
*sigh* right now, im praying shes not pregnant! when the owner called me i just got some basic info from him name, age, how long he had her, and if she was spayed. he told me her name is sasha, shes about 3yrs old, he had her for a year and he said that when he got her and she went into the vets, the vet couldnt determine if she was spayed or not. i just let it slide since he said he didnt want her anymore. i talked to the vet later on and told them the situation since he didnt return my call asking to have her records released to me. the vet called him and left a message that if he didnt get back to them by wednesday they would be releasing the records to me. in the meantime the vets were appauled by this, but also said the guy was not a good owner and that the dog had a very lucky break to get away and find me. they told me that he only had her in one time and got her rabies shot and refused everything else, AND she was in heat when she came in and he denied getting her spayed. heres the kicker, when i got her i walked her all over my neighborhood and drove her around asking EVERYONE if they had ever seen the dog, everyone said no. he lives literally a few doors down from me :( never even bothered to look for her......
Wow! What a messed up story about the guy who owned her! Not to mention no one ever saw her before and she was a few doors down? What did he do? ... keep the dog locked up 24/7? ... maybe that is why it kept running away! Uuuugh! .... some people!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this is sasha! isnt she adorable?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Awwwwe .... she is adorable!!! :)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
she probably has a little bit of something else in her too though... but really... ive seen some DNA tests come back from rescued dogs and im tempted to say she might have some pit in her, but for all i know it could be french bulldog! those ears are my only clue that there is something other than lab/shar pei

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
she probably has a little bit of something else in her too though... but really... ive seen some DNA tests come back from rescued dogs and im tempted to say she might have some pit in her, but for all i know it could be french bulldog! those ears are my only clue that there is something other than lab/shar pei
I think that is a possibility. :)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no roloni- i have 2 great danes and one is dog aggressive, and this little pup doesnt seem well socialized with other dogs and doesnt care much for them. and i also have a kitten and 2 guinea pigs and she has extremely high prey drive. trust me, i would totally keep her if i could. i really love her already.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I honestly don't know how people can be like this. How do you just throw away a dog? I get that some people absolutely need to rehome a dog, my partner and I had to but we didn't just dump our dog or let him loose. We actually researched and found a fantastic charity that never puts a healthy dog down (as in only in the most extreme cases will they put a dog down). It was heartbreaking to leave our dog there but we rang every day to see if he had found a home, within days he had with a lovely woman and now he's having a fantastic life. My partner was back and forth to hospital for hours on end which wasn't suitable for a young dog, eventually she was classed disabled but just because we had to give him away didn't mean we stopped caring. Even now years later we still feel incredible guilt. I just don't understand how you can not care.

Poor Sasha, she is adorable and very lucky to have been found by you. I've taken in a stray cat called Mollie, my partner wanted to rehome her but at this point I had fallen in love with her. 2 years on and she's still with us and very much apart of our family. I really hope Sasha wins your mum over but if she doesn't I hope she finds a wonderful home.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts