Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Jax has this one peculiar behavior that I can't figure out. He likes to sit in front of the couch and stare at me. Boredom? Well, maybe, but it doesn't necessarily seem to have any rhyme or reason. Could happen just after he's spent 30+ minutes in the backyard on his trolley (and often he's brought back in because he's started to bark and wait for me to come get him, he's become a big house baby). Could be a short bit after having taken a run or coming back from the dog park. He has toys galore, so he's not lacking in the house.

He's doing it right now as I type this. He'd been playing with a toy, dropped it, and sat down and he's staring at me. Occasionally it's him needing to go out to use the bathroom, but that's not always the case.

It often comes with an attempt to "shake," whether it's putting his paw up on the couch, or me, or the computer if it's sitting on the table. I don't think too horribly much this tendency of his, as I know he can't be tooo horribly bored, because as I've said, he will do it even shortly after I've wrestled with him or played in some way in the house. So I'll try to coerce him up onto the couch but he hardly cares to join me up here lol.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions? Similar such behaviors from your dogs?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I think a lot of the time it's an attention getting thing. Because really, who doesn't react at all to being stared at?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Eevee stares at me all the time when she's waiting for attention lol.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Attention or wants something, lol. Though, I think dogs just like to observe their owners from time to time. We like to watch them, why not the other way around?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Pretty much any time I look at my dog while she's lying around I find her staring at me. I think she just likes to watch and of course if she keeps an eye on me then she can always know when I have food, when I'm ready to play with her or go for a walk etc. You are your dog's connection to the good things in life, of course they want to keep an eye out for you to do something cool. :)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I agree with sassafras and wicket... Pawing is a Calming Signal to request attention. From your description, I relate it to what my dog does when he's tired of sleeping (!!!) and wants some interaction, or when I've pet him or played with him, and he wants some more.

Different note, not sure if it is pertinent to the original question - My dog likes me to scratch his jaw. I'll scratch on one side (with him moving to get that oh-so right spot) and he'll flick his tongue, so I'll switch to the other side. When he flicks his tongue, I'll switch sides again. He'll flick again, or after a little more scratching. My point is that I believe that my dog is communicating that I've scratched his itch (Thank you very much), using a 'Calming Signal' behavior that might be interpreted for something else. So when your dog offers a gesture, explore different interpretations....

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Different note, not sure if it is pertinent to the original question - My dog likes me to scratch his jaw. I'll scratch on one side (with him moving to get that oh-so right spot) and he'll flick his tongue, so I'll switch to the other side. When he flicks his tongue, I'll switch sides again. He'll flick again, or after a little more scratching. My point is that I believe that my dog is communicating that I've scratched his itch (Thank you very much), using a 'Calming Signal' behavior that might be interpreted for something else. So when your dog offers a gesture, explore different interpretations....
Ha, I do the exact same thing.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yep Jubel stares at me all the time for various reasons. Wants to go potty, wants to eat, wants attention, wants to go to bed (and I MUST go too), wants to go for a walk, most of those will be accompanied with some whining, barking, moaning, sad face in my lap. The rest of the time he's just keeping an eye on me to be ready if I should happen to get up for any reason he's ready to go. He's content to just lay there and watch me, maybe doze off a bit but ever aware of my movements/sounds and ready to follow. If he's not watching me he's snuggled up with me, either way I'm not going anywhere without him knowing.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Every dog I've owned has spent a good amount of time staring at me. Heck, one of my rabbits spends a significant portion of her time staring at me too. lol I think it's sometimes for attention, and other times because they think if they keep staring at us, something interesting might happen (like treats will fall out of the sky)

·
Registered
559 Posts
This thread has me laughing because it describes Hobbes perfectly. Sometimes he sits right in front of me and stares at me for no apparent reason, and sometimes he puts on his pathetic face and rests his head on the edge of the couch. If I invite him up he's not interested - he just wants to sit there and stare at me like he's hoping treats will start raining from my body.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
If you have papillons, you're accustomed to everything you do being observed. I can't even go to the bathroom without them wanting to follow me in. If I lock them out they just wait outside the door. they won't even stay outside by themselves if given a choice. They'd just rather be with me and be doing what I'm doing.

my roommates used to get a little uneasy because Summer would stare at them all the time. I thought it was weird because they had dogs too but apparently mine 'stared too much'.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Dogs evolved to live with humans. It makes sense that an animal who depends on humans should spend a good deal of their time observing humans to learn human behavior and ultimately increase their chances of survival.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sent a picture last night to my fiance with Jax staring at me from beside the couch, paw up on me and the couch, and her response was that it was his "take me to your leader"-look. Like he's pondering to take over the world and rule lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts