Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a hawk in our neighborhood since a hurricane blew through in the summer. I've seen it many times flying above us, and twice on the ground, once eating a squirrel and once eating a pigeon. Hawks in the air look small, but up close, they are huge.

My husband just called to tell me that the hawk got another victim- the neighbor's chihuahua! Just last week this neighbor saw me walking Kabota in the rain and told me I should fence in my yard because it's so much more convenient. "No more walking in the rain, just let him outside and you can watch TV while he does his business."

Or gets carried off by a freakin' hawk, I guess.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Oh no! The poor Chi! We too have residential hawks and yes they are huge and will carry off whatever they can eat. This is only one reason I do not let my little dogs out unattended ... ever.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It never occurred to me that it would carry off a dog, but I guess it happens! I feel terrible for the little chi and for the other neighbor who saw the hawk eating it. He's a really nice old man and a huge dog lover.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We've got hawks out at the ranch as well as Eagles and I'd be more scared of a bald eagle probably. Regardless, my dogs aren't what their after it's the other way around usually. Especially with those big buzzards!!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I know there are certain eagles in South Texas, but I've never seen one. I believe most keep to the more desolate and less populated areas (of which there are an abundance nearby). My small dog is allowed into a small ex-pen in the backyard via a doggie door when I'm gone at work. Otherwise, the doggie door is locked.

I do worry about the possibility of eagles, even though I've never actually seen one around here. Coco is 10.5-pounds, which I think an eagle could potentially carry. She's very loud, though, and has an easy escape into the house. The ex-pen is quite small so she's never far from the door.

·
Registered
871 Posts
That is scary, and Ive heard of that happening on a yorkie group Im on. Ive also heard of small animals coming in through a dog door and attacking small dogs.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do worry about the possibility of eagles, even though I've never actually seen one around here. Coco is 10.5-pounds, which I think an eagle could potentially carry. She's very loud, though, and has an easy escape into the house. The ex-pen is quite small so she's never far from the door.
Eagles will pick up full size, adult goats. There's a video on youtube and it is disturbing.

Ive also heard of small animals coming in through a dog door and attacking small dogs.
I saw a show once where this lady was feeding a raccoon. Then it was 5 raccoons. Then it was 30 raccoons. She called animal control when she woke up to 30 raccoons in her kitchen looking for the food.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I read this the only thing I could think of was a scene from the movie The Proposal when the poor little, fluffy dog gets picked up by a hawk. Of course, it's funny in a movie but in real life it would pretty terrifying!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
There are several species of hawks that live out by me. I never leave puppies outside alone, tho once they get 20+ pounds a hawk isn't going to be much of a threat.

·
Registered
496 Posts
oh wow the poor chi :( i have never heard of a hawk doing that but it makes sense, since they are small dogs. i can only imagine how the neighbor who saw it feels. We have hawks around here mostly during summer, and we have 2-3 neighbors who let their dogs run the streets, or leave them outside in their backyard 24/7. All the neighbors have complained about their dogs running the streets and even called AC... i hope this summer they get picked up... by hawks :/

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Eagles will pick up full size, adult goats. There's a video on youtube and it is disturbing.

Not any species in North America...... We have two species of eagle. The Bald Eagle and The Golden Eagle of the Southwest.

An adult Bald Eagle can lift about four pounds. A Golden Eagle, MAYBE a bit more. Not much though

All the hawks, falcons and other birds of prey can lift less.

Only the smallest of dogs are in danger...

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
A lady who does cat rescue told me of a kitten who was picked up by a hawk. Some people were out doing yard work when a kitten fell from the sky. When they looked up all they saw was a hawk flying around. Other than some nasty wounds (eventually healed) the kitten was just fine. The rescue named him "Newton" because gravity and a piece of good luck was with that kitten that day. This happened right in the middle of a big city. Hawks have learned to adapt to living in the city.
A hawk once flew done and grabbed a full size duck that was only 2 feet away from me. The hawk flew away with the duck in its talons. I know it was just a duck, but I still felt bad for the poor thing.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
No offense to anyone.....

But I have always lived by the theory...... If raccoons, feral cats, coyotes, etc cause a safety issue for your dog, then you are under dogged. This would apply to birds as well.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
My Dad's 8 months old Papillon was picked up . . . talon sliced . . . and dropped cuz he must have been too heavy. Lots of stitches later and some time and he was fine but he was always terrified of birds flying overhead. :) I love the convenience of a dog door and this worry is one reason that I like dogs that are over 10 pounds. The coyotes can be kept out with a fence. Hawks and eagles are more problematic.

SOB

·
Registered
792 Posts
No offense to anyone.....

But I have always lived by the theory...... If raccoons, feral cats, coyotes, etc cause a safety issue for your dog, then you are under dogged. This would apply to birds as well.
Coyotes (and arguably raccoons, though not fatally) pose a safety issue for ME. Maybe I am under-personed.

:p

·
Registered
334 Posts
I worry about my little JRTx. I watch her very closely outside, especially since the other week, there was a HUGE owl, standing in my neighbors yard, across the street--with their porch light on.

Also, I had to stop feeding the wild birds/squirrels for a while back in the Summer because I came outside to a hawk dining on a squirrel in my yard. Broke my heart. I know it's the circle of life...but still.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
There are hawks where I live and we are NEVER allowed to leave a dog under 20lb alone outside at work because they will get picked up (has happened nearby but not with us).

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I know that adult cats aren't at risk of being taken by hawks. But most cats are 8-12 pounds. I guess a 3-pound dog isn't any bigger than a smallish rabbit. . .poor dog.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts