Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is Hawk's first 4th of July that he can really remember since his first one was when he was 2 months old and he was probably sleeping.

I took him to my aunts house for the Fourth party because I wanted to view his reactions to the noises and lights, and offer to him my happy dance if there was a big boom.

Well the first time he heard a "screamer" he just stared out the window and cocked his head. then came the lights and he just watched them, and then came the BOOOOOMS! and he just looked around and then layed back down.

We just got done playing a fun Tuggy game while the really big boomies were going off on my aunts lawn.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Shug is barking at them :rolleyes: . She barks at thunder, too, so I guess it's no surprise. My dogs don't care one bit and are ignoring the noise.

I tried going out to watch but the mosquitoes about carried me away. I was out for 3 minutes and I think I got 10 bites.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Mine are all laying around the house without a care in the world. Nobody even seemed to lift an ear to the fireworks...even the ones my neighbors are setting off on my lawn :rolleyes:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well the first time he heard a "screamer" he just stared out the window and cocked his head. then came the lights and he just watched them, and then came the BOOOOOMS! and he just looked around and then layed back down.
LOL - That doesn't sound like "OMG Fireworks are FUN" that sounds like, "Huh, I don't get it. What's the big deal?"

Hershey's on alert and looking for the source of the sound but that's about it. Thankfully!!

You know, for a city that banned fireworks two decades ago Hershey's got a lot of auditory stimulus. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Roxxy made it through with flying colors! I am so proud of her. She got a bit antsy when the "finale" was going on because the noise was long and consistent. Other than that, laid at the foot of my bed, on alert, but otherwise calm. I guess we are far enough away that it wasn't too loud for her. I'm sure if we had been outside, it would have been different. Between the a/c and TV, it was an uneventful night....thank goodness!!! :D

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I crated my dogs just in case, but neither seems to mind. Nothing at all phases Brutus though. You could set off an atomic bomb next door and as long as it left the kitchen trash can intact he couldn't care less. I wasn't so sure about Zero. He seemed especially clingy, but otherwise was fine.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Shadow and Holly did very well.
They sat outside with us in the backyard on the porch while we were watching the neighbors' set off fireworks.
J.C. was in his crate, though. But he didn't bark or anything, even when it got quite loud.
I'm very proud of them.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Wally didn't care when he was inside. Didn't phase him one bit.

Outside...he was visibly nervous - would spin around to look in the direction when a cluster of them went off, but he didn't completely lose his cool.

FAR better than last 4th of July...

·
Registered
192 Posts
little Bikhi was really scared. i kept her in the house in her crate until midnight. she's only 6 months though.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
We weren't supposed to have fireworks here so I was worried...but there was thunder and lightening all day which Bridgette was not really okay for! She hasn't had anxiety like that in a while so I was a little upset, but we also had Brody here for the beginning of the monsoon season...apparently she's just fine when she has canine interaction.

But besides that, someone WAS setting off fireworks while we were on our way back from dinner so I rushed inside to make sure Bridgette was okay. Luckily she was in her crate because the window was open and she was barking and whining. We ended up staying home until she had calmed down. We're going to have to work on it over the next few storms...luckily fireworks are only once a year.

·
Registered
660 Posts
We brought Rosco to the big fireworks show with us and he was a dream baby. The only time he went off on a tangent last night was when my husband set off black cats in the driveway, and that's only because he was stuck inside at that moment and missing out on all the fun.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My dog doesn't even notice them if hte door is closed. When we opened the screen door last night cause it was hot, she got mildly interested in the louder ones (Just looking out the door). But it seemed more she was curious than scared (in fact it looked like she was thinking maybe something interesting that I should go partake in is happening outside). In fact show when there was chance of finding fallen food from our meal or chance I might give her a treat that was way more interesting to her.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Poca had no interest in the fireworks around here - slept through most of it. We had a few neighbors who set some off, but they had to be 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. The nearest organized event was several miles away. So no worries this year - yay - unusual for my cautious canine.

·
Registered
640 Posts
My two babies were fascinated by the fireworks and kept wanting to go outside to watch and listen. They played blissfully outside even when a bunch of booms went off that even had me a little jumpy... didn't phase them at all! (and no, they definitely don't have any hearing issues!)

Dixon, OTOH, my skittish pup, cowered inside the whole time just as she always does when loud sounds are going off outside. I wish she'd pick up from the babies how not to be so skittish.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was really happy that Sasha didnt seem fazed by them.My kids lite off some really loud ones too.My chihuahua always hides in my blankets on the bed but she isnt frantic, just doesnt like them.None of the rest the pack cares either thank goodness.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I put the boys out last night to go potty thinking I could quick do it before the fireworks got started. Guess not! The big booms started and Oliver came running to his mama. Carsten sad down and looked up at the sky and watched the show. lol They definitely have different personalities. Oliver wasn't overly upset but seemed to want to be a little closer to mama then normal. :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Libby thinks fireworks are some new species of fantastic bird, and the booms are the guns. If she's outside, she wants to hunt the fireworks... if she's inside, she's pissed because someone is hunting without her :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Libby thinks fireworks are some new species of fantastic bird, and the booms are the guns. If she's outside, she wants to hunt the fireworks... if she's inside, she's pissed because someone is hunting without her :rolleyes:
Guess the girl knows how to have fun, eh? ;) So what did she get to do last night? In or out?:D

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Guess the girl knows how to have fun, eh? So what did she get to do last night? In or out?
Well, I'm actually in Canada, so our fireworks were Wednesday :p

We took her to our local fireworks display, and then people in the neighbourhood were setting off fireworks late into the night...

So, a little of both!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts