Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’ve had Cooper for 2 weeks now and he does not care for my husband. He is fine with me, our daughter, basically anyone other than my husband. Cooper goes the other way if he sees hubby walk into the room. Yet when I’m not around he’s tolerable of him. He will snuggle with both of us in the bed, yet when morning comes it’s like he forgets who my husband is all over again. Any advice or tips are much appreciated!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be me. As far as “walk him” goes, we’re still struggling with leash training. Fortunately we have a fenced in backyard we play with him in. Hubby has hand-fed his kibbles to him, but Cooper is very reluctant to come to him for that and for treats. The breeder was a female and we believe that there was just no male interaction so that’s what we’re chalking it up to. However, he’s been with us long enough by now that we feel he should know that hubby is a good guy who’s always going to be around. It’s just so heartbreaking because hubby was the main one who wanted a dog, and he’s never had an animal to not like him.

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
A dog's preferences are rarely arbitrary, though their reason may seem obscure. In our house, my wife most often feeds our dogs and I most often walk and groom them. They truly seem to like us both equally but that isn't necessarily the norm.

The more your husband does that your dog enjoys, the more the dog is likely to appreciate him.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Aussies are generally "one person" dogs, and they typically pick the person who feeds, walks, and trains them the most often as "that" person. If your husband wants the dog to like him equally, he should take equal part in the care of the dog.

Also, 2 weeks isn't that long. Give him three months to settle in. Make sure your husband is participating in his care.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aussies are generally "one person" dogs, and they typically pick the person who feeds, walks, and trains them the most often as "that" person. If your husband wants the dog to like him equally, he should take equal part in the care of the dog.

Also, 2 weeks isn't that long. Give him three months to settle in. Make sure your husband is participating in his care.
Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
2 years ago we rescued a 4 yo Golden Retriever girl from a puppy farm (mill). She was terrified of my husband from the get go. However, I read a great paper on-line on how to gain these pups' trust.
It begins by making sure only good things come from us. So we should carry treats with us at all times and every time we pass the pup at any time of the day we should drop a treat, along with soft words, and keep walking. We fed her near where she huddled until she was comfortable enough to come into the kitchen with our other dog, setting her bowl closer to the feeding station each day. Took about a week to get her to do this.
It took about 3 days for her to begin to expect something when we passed and to trust that we were good people. I was able to sit near her ..... about 3 feet away and talk gently to her (with some treats); but didn't physically touch her until she was relaxed enough to start little explorations of our house, and to join us and our other dog as a group, i.e. sitting together at night after dinner, and sleeping in her bed near us. Slowly over the next 2-3 months she allowed us to touch her at arms length, albeit warily, and within another few weeks she started to sleep without laying on her tummy (quick get-away position) and began to stretch out. At all times her bed was located with at least 2 escape routes.
After about 6 months she allowed my husband to give her a tummy rub one evening .... we were over the moon. Her tail had started to sway as she moved around our property and now, she wags her tail happily when she hears our voices, she accepts bear hug cuddles from us both, comes to us both for her multiple daily pat sessions, and rolls over for her tummy rubs at any random occasion. My husband and I each feed our pups, he does breakfast and I do supper, always.
She still sometimes likes her privacy and we respect that. We have been able to train her to do basic commands.
The whole thrust of my post is TIME, PATIENCE, and GENTLENESS to gain her trust. I know how hard it is when all you husband wants to do is love your pup, but he cannot rush it. Progress must be on her terms - hubby just must stay consistent.
Good luck ..... it WILL happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 years ago we rescued a 4 yo Golden Retriever girl from a puppy farm (mill). She was terrified of my husband from the get go. However, I read a great paper on-line on how to gain these pups' trust.
It begins by making sure only good things come from us. So we should carry treats with us at all times and every time we pass the pup at any time of the day we should drop a treat, along with soft words, and keep walking. We fed her near where she huddled until she was comfortable enough to come into the kitchen with our other dog, setting her bowl closer to the feeding station each day. Took about a week to get her to do this.
It took about 3 days for her to begin to expect something when we passed and to trust that we were good people. I was able to sit near her ..... about 3 feet away and talk gently to her (with some treats); but didn't physically touch her until she was relaxed enough to start little explorations of our house, and to join us and our other dog as a group, i.e. sitting together at night after dinner, and sleeping in her bed near us. Slowly over the next 2-3 months she allowed us to touch her at arms length, albeit warily, and within another few weeks she started to sleep without laying on her tummy (quick get-away position) and began to stretch out. At all times her bed was located with at least 2 escape routes.
After about 6 months she allowed my husband to give her a tummy rub one evening .... we were over the moon. Her tail had started to sway as she moved around our property and now, she wags her tail happily when she hears our voices, she accepts bear hug cuddles from us both, comes to us both for her multiple daily pat sessions, and rolls over for her tummy rubs at any random occasion. My husband and I each feed our pups, he does breakfast and I do supper, always.
She still sometimes likes her privacy and we respect that. We have been able to train her to do basic commands.
The whole thrust of my post is TIME, PATIENCE, and GENTLENESS to gain her trust. I know how hard it is when all you husband wants to do is love your pup, but he cannot rush it. Progress must be on her terms - hubby just must stay consistent.
Good luck ..... it WILL happen.
Your story was very touching. Thank you for sharing and giving tips that worked for you. I agree that it’s just going to take time and patience. In fact, in just the past week we have noticed little things that show Cooper is Slowly starting to warm up to hubby. We will continue to be patient. Thank you all!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts