Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lovely Staffordshire Bull Terrier is now two years old, and since being a puppy has never liked/wanted to urinate or deficate when on a leash.

At home she would happily 'go' in the garden, but never when out on a walk.

This was never an issue, but we now live in an apartment and no longer have a garden.
Im taking her on three walk a day, for between 30mins and 1/2 hours a time, yet she still wont go.

She knows not to mess in the house, so that kind of things isnt really a problem, but she doesnt seem to know where she CAN go - this is leading to accidents, stressing both me and her!

Can anyone give me ideas to encourage her to actually GO outdoors!!?!?!?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Clear your schedule and wait her out. You could take her to a place where a bunch of other dogs have peed.

If you cannot be directly supervising her at home, she needs to be in a crate or tethered to you. Start a potty schedule going out every hour on the hour.

Be prepared to throw a massive party with treats falling from the sky when she does go outside.

If she was yelled at or spanked or whatever while potty training as a puppy, she may have learned never to do her business while there's a person close to her.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I don't like Flexi leads but this is one time where it might help. If you can take her to an area where you can let her get quite a distance from you, maybe she will feel comfortable going. You can gradually decrease the distance, just ignore her and look the other way, just keeping enough of an eye on her to praise her when she does go. It may take quite a while before she will just go on lead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't like Flexi leads but this is one time where it might help. If you can take her to an area where you can let her get quite a distance from you, maybe she will feel comfortable going. You can gradually decrease the distance, just ignore her and look the other way, just keeping enough of an eye on her to praise her when she does go. It may take quite a while before she will just go on lead.
Rather than a Flexi-leash, they make 15, 20, 30 foot training leads. I LOVE them. Mostly because Flexi-leads are one of my biggest pet peeves. =)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts