Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(There is a TL;DR at the bottom)

I have a GSD male who is almost two years old right now.

As a puppy he was taken out and introduced to other people often, and sometimes (one every few weeks) had our neighbors dog to play with. From their "playing" I could tell he was pretty aggressive, I had to give him a shout to sit down or come to me every little while when he got to pushy or let out a growl. This was about a year ago

Now he's much larger, and MUCH stronger. I apologize if I ramble a bit here, but the situation is a bit complicated:

1. I can handle him fine, he behaves very well around me. On walks I have been able to keep him fairly calm and sitting around other dogs, though I never let him too close just in case. It's been about a year since he's played with other dogs

but

He doesn't behave for others in the house. My dad can keep him in line, but if myself or my father are out then he absolutely refuses to listen to my mother and seems to have the mentality that he can do whatever he wants. Sitting here, I can hear him running around and causing trouble upstairs and every little while his name being called. If I go upstairs he'll sit down and behave, the second I leave he'll start up again

Normally this is just an annoyance, but...

2. He has become extremely aggressive to other dogs when "allowed" to be. If I have him out on the front porch or backyard and see a dog going by, I pull him back and sit him down. He'll let out a growl but won't act out so long as I am there.

I just got back home from somewhere today and something happened that made me write this post. Apparently two small dogs were walking, and my dog was on a leash attached to his collar outside with my mom. He pulled hard enough to break the collar wide open and chase the dogs and their owner down the street, and apparently tried to attack the dogs

The collar was from petsmart, only 2 weeks old and made for big dogs. This isn't the first time he's been able to break stuff meant to restrain him, he's been able to bend the steel bar to which his leash is attached to the ground. He's actually somehow broken out of a doggy daycare, bending a gate enough as he pushed against it to make room to get through. The owner said in 12 years of running the place no dog ever got out except him.

Today's incident really shook me. He's been out to play today with me and everything, I made sure to tire him out before I left so he wouldn't be overly energetic. Yet somehow he got aggressive enough to break a collar and chase another dog, absolutely refusing to come back when my mother called him. And my mom is simply not strong enough to control him

I'm going to university in 4 months, and I can't ask my parents or cousins to take him for walks or to play because I actually now think he may be a bit of a threat to other dogs when I'm not around.

If I leave for university, he'll be stuck all day in the house since my parents can't control him outside. I'm not even sure how I'd take him to training, he wouldn't be able to sit still around the other dogs

TL;DR:

GSD is aggressive towards other dogs. Behaves well when I am around, does not listen to others when I leave. My parents are not strong enough to control him if he pulls on the leash, and I'm sure if he encountered another dog on a walk I know they can't control him. I'm leaving for uni in a few months, what do I do with this dog?

·
Registered
705 Posts
So, to curb his aggression with other dogs you kept him away from all other dogs during the time you should have been socializing him extensively? Not to be mean, but you created this problem and I think you (and your parents) should take the reposnsibility to help fix it. Dogs need to be socialized EXTENSIVELY as puppies so they learn how to behave with other dogs and people. You prevented him from learning those critical qualities so he will most likely always have some issues with other dogs.

First, it sounds like you use harsh training methods. You talk about shouting at him, "keeping him in line", and some other things. Have you tried using positive reinforcement with him? Teaching him what he should be doing?

If you think he will actually harm another person or dog, like literally harm them if given the chance, you need to invest in a muzzle, a strong leash, and a strong collar for use on walks. Start training him using positive methods.

If you want an easy answer, you;re not going to find out. You have a couple options.

1. Start coming up with a training plan and training him. Parents need to take over when you leave.
2. Rehoming - I don't think this is good unless the new owners KNOW his issues and KNOW his potential to cause damage
3. Rescue - A rescue might not take him because of his aggression. Aggressiveness is not something that can be easily fixed in a week and rescues generally won't put up with it because of th eliability that goes with trying to adopt out a dog that may hurt someone
4. Euthanize him. An aggressive GSD is not something to be trifled with (if he actually is aggressive and would hurt someone)

You made the commitment to him when you got him as a puppy. You trained him to be aggressive. It is now you responsibility to help train him to become a valued pet rather than a hazard.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
He is lucky he didn't chase my dogs, he would have gotten a cattle prod zap for his troubles, I'm sorry but me & the knee people who walk the PUBLIC streets without fear of our dogs being hurt, us being hurt, or my dogs developing a behavorial issue from the whole experience.

With that said, I think that you need to consult the help of a behaviorist, I think this is something that is worthy of a behaviorist

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'm confused, he goes to a doggie daycare but doesn't play with other dogs? Is there any way they can help socialize him? Most daycares wouldn't take a DA dog.

I would ask them for help/advice with training, and if your mother can't handle the dog, she shouldn't handle the dog. Set up a safe room or pen for him for when you and your dad aren't there too, if she can't manage him on her own.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Was it a collar with a plastic clip closure? Those are terrible. You need leather with an actual buckle.

Anyway, how much exercise is he getting? How much training? How much mental exercise? GSDs are intelligent high drive dogs. If all he's getting is an hour walk and a little training every now and then, he's going nuts with boredom.

Also, you punished him for playing with other dogs. (GSDs play rough, it probably wasn't aggression.) What do you suppose he learned? He learned that other dogs equal my owner scaring and hurting me.

You need to up the mental and physical exercise and learn positive training from a behaviorist. this problem took 2 years for you to create, it won't be fixed overnight.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Since you're going away to school soon, I'm afraid your best option is to try and rehome him. Are you willing to risk the liability issue if he hurts/kills another dog, or God forbid,, a small child? Sorry to be so blunt, but lives could be at stake here, at this point.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
You can socialize him in 4 months, but you'll need help from a positive method trainer, and you'll have to work with him every day.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree with what others have said above , that you have caused the issue. You have created a dog who is the alpha when you are not there.It can be fixed but will take a bit of time, consistency and patience. You could be well on the way within your 4 months if you are totally consistent. Everybody in the house has to join the program.
You need to retrain him that he is not the alpha and everybody in the house is higher in the pack than him. Your best course of action is to find an obedience club that has qualified, experienced trainers who use the positive reward system of training.
A bit hard for me to help directly as I am in Australia but if you want to PM me, I can let you have some articles I have written on this.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Consult a behaviorist/trainer immediately. In the mean time, buy a muzzle for him to wear when your mother takes him outside.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Alpha theory has been debunked for decades. Please don't go that route. Either contact a behaviorist who uses positive methods or a GSD rescue. Dog aggression dies not equal human aggression and it's common for GSDs to be DA. I don't see putting him to sleep as a reasonable option. He's poorly trained and bored, not Cujo.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I agree with NOT trying "alpha" type training. You'll make him more aggressive. This dog is underexercised, and has been "trained" incorrectly. Get a positive trainer to help you with him. I might even consider using a prong collar if you are taught how to use it.
If every time he sees a dog when you are on the porch, you are pulling him back/forcing him to sit, he is feeding off the tension, and getting worse. Teach him a "Look at me" command, using treats. Get a positive trainer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts