Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I foster dogs, and currently have a 8 mo old Lab Pit Bull X male. I am also puppy sitting my old foster dog who is a 2 year old Lab Mastiff X female. Hunter the 8 mo old just got neutered on Wed, and we have to keep his activity to a minimum. Well when they "play" its like hell! Play biting and jumping on eachother, they dont listen when I try to correct them. They are wayyyyyyy too hyper! Which is weird because they are fine if they are by themselves, or with Phoebe (the 2 yr old) is fine with my parents 11 yr old bichon :/ I have them in seperate kennels now, but I am lost as to how to make them play nice.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Labs play rough and are extremely hyper and pit bulls play very rough. It's all play, mind you, but it looks awful, lots of play biting and jumping. I really don't think you can correct away breed specific play behavior. If they're not hurting each other, I'd let it go, but separate them to cool down every so often.

That being said, don't ever let them play unsupervised. If you're not in the room, they need to be separated. Fights can break out in an instant, and you need to be right there to stop it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would let them out one at a time and interact with them, especially when taking them out. I would also let them out together but only when they are nice and calm. I just got a second dog last month and mine are like little tiny terrors when they start playing. Usually I would say let them go at it but you don’t want Hunter to tear his stitches. So get the healthy one some exercise till he is nice and tired then let Hunter out and when he tries to start playing, tell him no and get between then or hold one on your lap. Once they see that playing isn’t going to happen, they may just lay down and relax. I have to do this sometimes at night when they want to keep playing and I’m ready for then to chill out.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think maybe meeko is worried about the fact that one of them just got neutered and shouldn't be playing so rough right now. Not so much that they are play fighting in general.

Meeko, my 6 month old spaz of a puppy just got neutered on Tuesday, so I know what you are going through. Just try your best to minimize distractions that could get him hyper and jumping around. Try giving him some stuffed toys or durable chew toys to keep him busy. If all else fails, tether him to your side so you can keep an eye on him and keep him calm until he gets a chance to heal. This will allow you to keep the other dog away from him for awhile as well so you can control the excessive playing for awhile.

EDIT* LenaCara beat me to it (typing at same time lol). But good luck ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts