Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
You can also put cottage cheese in the kongs, or tiny, tiny bits of cheese and hot dogs. As for how long to make him stay in his "house" until he's housebroken:
I never used the crate for that reason. There's a difference between crate training and potty training. Crate training is helping a dog become accustomed to the crate, so that they are fine going in, and will tolerate being in. Reasons you might want a dog to be ok with being in a crate: if they need to go to the groomers or vets and may need to spend time in a crate when they are there; if you need to crate them when traveling, if they need to stay long term at the vet or boarder, etc.

Now, you can USE a crate as a tool for potty training purposes, but I never really did. I preferred to have the puppy out and about with me because it was easier to actually learn and see their "I gotta go pee" signs, it was easier to interrupt them if they started to pee/poop inside, it was easier to teach them the rules of the house.

If I couldn't actually keep my eyes on them because I was busy doing chores or showering or cooking, then I would put them in the crate or ex-pen, so they were contained in one area.

The premise behind using the crate for potty training is that most dogs won't pee/poop where they sleep (or eat). BUT, young puppies don't have much control over their bladders yet, so if they HAVE to go, they will, wherever they happen to be. That said, they may try harder to hold it, because they don't want to soil their den. That is just a generalization, though, some pups don't care about that.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Yes, even today, with our dogs being 2 and 3, we still keep the doors to the bedrooms closed, just so we know they aren't getting into anything! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts