Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She still wakes up twice a night to pee..and I feel I am losing my mental sanity from sleep deprivation and frustration.

I walk her twice a day for a total of an hour and a half a day, for a small breed isn't that enough?

what am i suppose to do?

I feel like I'm going to go insane.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Sounds like she's learned to wake up and pee; she may also like the attention she's getting. She should be able to hold it overnight after a year - even a small breed - for at least 6-7 hours, if not 8. I agree that she needs to be crated in an appropriate sized crate (only enough room to stand up and turn around in). Most dogs won't pee in their dens. I'd get her checked by the vet, and if nothing's wrong, I let her wait it out, maybe only getting up once for a few nights, then go cold turkey. When you take her out at night, no conversation at all, except the "go potty" command, and definitely no playing; right back into the crate when done.

Since she's used to this routine, she may complain loudly at first; get a set of earplugs.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Are there accidents if you sleep in? Does she sleep in a crate?
Yes, she sleeps in a crate and it is the right size. She will pee in it if I don't let her out when she whines. The water gets picked up at 8pm, and she gets to go outside 6 times a day.

Has she been cleared as healthy by the vet? Could it be a UTI?
I don't think it's a UTI because she doesn't pee more frequently - i.e. it's not like only a little pee comes out and then she has to go again a bit later. It's just during the night she gets up instead of sleeping through. I will try to get a urine sample though it's really hard cuz she squats so close to the ground, and rule it out tho

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like she's learned to wake up and pee; she may also like the attention she's getting. She should be able to hold it overnight after a year - even a small breed - for at least 6-7 hours, if not 8. I agree that she needs to be crated in an appropriate sized crate (only enough room to stand up and turn around in). Most dogs won't pee in their dens. I'd get her checked by the vet, and if nothing's wrong, I let her wait it out, maybe only getting up once for a few nights, then go cold turkey. When you take her out at night, no conversation at all, except the "go potty" command, and definitely no playing; right back into the crate when done.

Since she's used to this routine, she may complain loudly at first; get a set of earplugs.
I've done the ignoring thing only to have her start screaming for being in a puddle of pee lol...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I will try to get a urine sample though it's really hard cuz she squats so close to the ground, and rule it out tho
I agree ruling UTI or whatever out is a good idea, but are you sure you have to collect a sample? Our vet does that in the office somehow...

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'd be losing my mind, too! I've heard some small breeds have this problem....

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Maybe you could use potty pads at night?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok..just got the urine tests back from the vet and he says everything is normal. He wants to prescribe her some bladder-relaxing medication so she can 'hold' it longer, or at least not feel the need to pee so much.

It's funny cuz when she does pee, less than 10mm came out...so she wants to pee but it's only a little, and I know this cuz when I took the sample, that's how much came out...So I'm starting to think it's behavioural as well, that (like me), she just wants to pee more often than not, regardless of whether she's really full...

Sibe, I was putting pee pads down for her for the night, but others have suggested this is giving her mixed notions of whether it's ok to go in the house or not...I am tempted to go back to doing this. My other alternative is to let her have accidents in her crate a few nights in a row until she learns that it's more pleasant to just hold it in the morning...or this can totally backfire and make it even more of a habit to soil her crate >.<

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
In a way yes, it is a mixed message, but yes *should* only pee on the pads. Personally I would rather give it a shot than have my sleep interrupted every single night. It's all up to you! I'm glad the tests came back normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts