Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the subject implies, I haven't owned a puppy in a very long time. I got my first dog when I was 8, and she was 4 months old. Since then I've only had one other dog, and he was 6 years old when I got him.

I'm a Dog Trainer, so I don't need any advice about training or behavior or anything like that... But I would love your opinions on a diet for her.

She's a border collie/basenji mix, 4 months old. I was thinking of mixing Blue Buffalo puppy with Wellness CORE as her staple diet, and a few times a week mixing in some Wellness canned food. (I don't remember if it's a specific brand of Wellness wet food, but it only has one or two ingredients, it's extremely natural) I also wanted to supplement her diet with raw meaty bones, possibly some pumpkin every now and again, and other raw treats such as green beans.

Is that too much protein for a 4 month old puppy? Is there anything else that you all would suggest? I would love any and all input.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I think that sounds like a very nice diet for her! The kibble and canned brands you mentioned are good and raw bones are healthy and will keep her teeth healthy too. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yay! I'm specifically worried about her teeth, my first dog had terrible teeth and had to have dental surgery several times in her life. (I was just a kid when we had her, and my mom fed her some really terrible foods, and never brushed her teeth.)

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Yay! I'm specifically worried about her teeth, my first dog had terrible teeth and had to have dental surgery several times in her life. (I was just a kid when we had her, and my mom fed her some really terrible foods, and never brushed her teeth.)
Yeah, my parents' lab had major issues with his teeth later in life due to a bad diet and zero attention to his dental health (we just didn't know any better, unfortunately). That experience has made me kind of hyper-vigilant about these things in my own dog. She gets occasional raw bones and daily brushings. If I fed the bones more often she probably wouldn't need to have her teeth brushed, but it's cheaper for me this way.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I hope to get her used to a finger brush at the very least. There are also these amazing dental chews I get at this holistic pet store near my house, I can't remember what they're called, but they are shaped like alligators, and they're made of sweet potatoes or something like that? Feeding a few of those to my previous dog a week (along with a good diet, of course,) actually made most of his tartar build-up disappear! I was amazed!

·
Registered
211 Posts
The only thing I'd say is make sure the pup will eat the food before you buy mass quantities of it. If the pup won't eat or will only barely eat it, that's no fun for anybody in the house.

We've had bad luck with getting the cats, dog or macaw eating super healthy natural prepared foods. They won't touch it and act like you're trying to poison them. So, we've ended up going with middle-of-the-road prepared foods they'll eat and supplementing with home prepared foods a couple of times a week.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
We have had a lot of dog food recalls lately , you may want to check an UTD recall list when making your selection.

oldhounddog
Neither Blue Buffalo or Wellness CORE has yet been recalled, which is why their two of my favorites. :3 I've worked at a pet store for almost 9 years, and I've seen almost every other brand be recalled, aside from these two. :3

The only thing I'd say is make sure the pup will eat the food before you buy mass quantities of it. If the pup won't eat or will only barely eat it, that's no fun for anybody in the house.

We've had bad luck with getting the cats, dog or macaw eating super healthy natural prepared foods. They won't touch it and act like you're trying to poison them. So, we've ended up going with middle-of-the-road prepared foods they'll eat and supplementing with home prepared foods a couple of times a week.
Good advice! I'm going to get her small bags of both, to see how she likes them. I've never had a cat or dog turn up their nose at these two foods yet, so I hope she doesn't either!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, I have another question for you guys... Is Blue Buffalo a good food? I mean, I know that it is, but when I see everyone talking about what they feed their dogs, I rarely, rarely see Blue Buffalo mentioned, although people will admit they like it. Is there a reason for that?

I'm seeing an overwhelming amount of people who feed TOTW, although that just got recalled, and has been recalled in the past.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
In my area Blue Buffalo kind of expensive, but it is for sure a good food. I really like their Wilderness line. ToTW is just very low-priced for what it is ingredients-wise so it's an option many people on a budget tend towards. Earthborn is a similar food in a similar price range that many feel has better manufacturing processes, if that is something that concerns you. I would just feed what is convenient to you as far as local availability and price. All the foods you've mentioned are good so it really just depends how much you are willing to spend and what companies you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Acana is also a very good food, as is Innova Prime. Both are grain free. Acana and Innova both have grain inclusive kibbles, as well. I've also had dogs do well on TOTW.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Acana is also a very good food, as is Innova Prime. Both are grain free. Acana and Innova both have grain inclusive kibbles, as well. I've also had dogs do well on TOTW.
I was JUST reading about Acana! I'm pretty sure I'm going to get that instead. From what I can tell, they have never had a recall on their food, and apparently they process the food at the same plant in which it's distributed, which is also good. It sounds great!

In my area Blue Buffalo kind of expensive, but it is for sure a good food. I really like their Wilderness line. ToTW is just very low-priced for what it is ingredients-wise so it's an option many people on a budget tend towards. Earthborn is a similar food in a similar price range that many feel has better manufacturing processes, if that is something that concerns you. I would just feed what is convenient to you as far as local availability and price. All the foods you've mentioned are good so it really just depends how much you are willing to spend and what companies you are comfortable with.
I've been reading on Earthborn, it sounds wonderful. I have a lot of options to choose from now!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I feed prey model raw to my two (though I fed TOTW to my first as a puppy while still researching raw), and I have a foster on kibble. After a lot of looking around I decided on swithcing the foster to Earthborn as the current stuff he's been eating is nasty and he has a lot of issues from it, and his owner doesn't want him on raw. I like Earthborn because of the lack of icky ingredients, and from what I've read it's a lower % of carbs than most kibbles and I'm not a fan of giving carbs to a dog. It's a very decent price for the quality too.

A note about raw meaty bones, be careful about what bones you give. You want to give *edible* bones, which are soft bones like in poultry, rabbit, and fish. Most pork, sheep, and goat bones are good too. My general rule is that if the dog has to gnaw then the bone is too hard and is damaging the teeth. Weight-bearing bones like cow legs are very hard and dense. Even if you are lucky and your dog does not crack or break a tooth on them, the bones are still causing microfractures and the bones wear down the teeth. Make sure you give raw bones, nothing cooked or smoked or seasoned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts