Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just came back from the vet this morning, my poor little goldendoodle puppy had a tick attached to her for the past 2-3 days.

The vet safely removed it and some little bruising remained.

See following picture for the tick:

couple of questions:

What kind of tick is this? Should I be worried?

Have you ever dealt with that kind of situation? I live in Quebec were Lyme prevalence is endemic.

Should I simply wait 8 weeks like my vet told me to screen for Lyme and hope for the best. My dog was supposed to have a basic vaccine and her first shot for lyme. Should I wait for blood tests before lyme vaccination ?

Thank you so much !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, follow what your vet says. My dog has lyme disease and got it as a puppy, it was very treatable and we haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes. I have removed a tick from my dog. Follow your Vet's advice.

Implement a prevention program against ticks and fleas. Many options available; collars, topical, pill......

·
Registered
346 Posts
I found a tick on my mom's pup a couple years ago. He had no issues however from it. I am currently using the Seresto collar for both my mom's pup and my own. If you don't have a tick twister I would highly recommend getting one to remove ticks. https://www.amazon.com/Tick-Twister-00100-Remover-Single/dp/B07NDZ8PY3/ref=asc_df_B07NDZ8PY3/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932703259144&psc=1

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Yes, follow the advice from your vet, as well as ask her about flea and tick preventatives to keep ticks from biting in the first place. There are many options out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I lived in a rural area when growing up and our dog typically stayed outside. I live in the southeast so plenty of ticks around here. I would pull ticks from him all the time. If my dog had one now..being a completely overprotecting dog owner I would definitely get him check by your vet...but I wouldn't be overly concerned. For dogs in rural areas that live outside ticks are extremely common on the dogs.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
First of all, lyme, ananplasmosis and the like are bacterial diseases (spirochetes). Much like Kennel Cough (also bacterial in nature) it is very hard to vaccinate for and have the vaccine truly work. I recommend you have that discussion with your vet.

Secondly, once a dog has Lyme they have it for life. They can have relapses (tho you treat it aggressively for 4-5 weeks). They will also test positive for Lyme for life after contracting the disease (anaplasmosis is the same and so is babesiosis I believe). They will also test positive for Lyme after being vaccinated and even when vaccinated can still get Lyme because the vaccine is not very effective (see above.. Lyme is not a viral disease.. it is bacterial).

Most of the dogs in my area (upstate NY and western MA) not religously checked for ticks AND treated for ticks test positive for tick born illness. Some are symptomatic. Some are not. Dogs need to be treated with something that Repels ticks in addition to killing ticks test positive for Lyme and/or anaplasmosis and other tick disease. K9 Advantix II, Vectra 3D and Seresto collars both repel and kill ticks. Other products not so much. That said, you can still find ticks on dogs if they run trhough brush or tall grass (in my area).

Both my dogs test negative for Tick Born disease. Part of that is luck. Part of that is being on top of preventative treatment.

In your case you have a puppy (if I read this right). You need to have a thorough understanding of tick born disease, how vaccines work (much more effective for viral illness.. and literally a shot in the dark for bacterial illness) and your treatment options both immediately after a tick bite as well as options if your dogs shows symptoms. You also need to get on a preventative treatment that repels and kills ticks. The killers only work after the tick bites the dog.

Not all vets understand tick born illness in dogs. Do not hesitate to get a second opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts