Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many people have. I have taken Bentley but Tank I have not,yet. I am planning on taking him next week. This beach is for humans/dogs. They can be off-leash but have to be friendly. Last week i went and there was a Border Collie. HOLY COW!! That dog had some energy. I was playing fetch with him and he was crouched down and had a very intense stare. It was kind of intimidating,lol. So all my experiences so far have been good. Now that I am taking Tank next week I know I jinxed myself,lol.

So have you taken your dogs? How was your experience? Will you do it again? did you like the beach you chose? I'm hoping this may help some new dog owners to!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Never been to an official off leash beach, but just learned on my recent vacation that metal dog collar + salt water = dog with rust coloured neck so that is something to keep in mind if applicable. Let us know how it goes for you

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
My girls go to Lake Michigan beaches about 5 times each week during the season. It is the happiest, most effective way to wear them out and they'd rather go to the beach than eat. (Hound and lab, so that's saying something.)

Since reaching a tentative adulthood, all my dogs have been beach dogs. That works out very well because I myself am a beach dog. The last several go to Lake Michigan and, when I lived in Santa Barbara, a block from the beach, my Irish setter and I would go the ocean twice-a-day, year-'round.

Molly is a runner and her recall is nowhere near perfect. (Probably about 70% these days.) But she mostly sticks to Esther like glue and Esther comes when she's called, so I haven't had to chase Molly across the lake to Michigan.

I have never misplaced a dog at the beach, except once on a particularly crowded day in Santa Barbara when my Irish setter and I got separated in the throng. After a frantic search, we found her sitting in my friend's car. She had picked out the car, that she had ridden in just once, from among hundreds and jumped in through an open window to wait for us.

Pretty smart dog.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RonE you had one smart dog :) The beach i go to has very little people going there. Now that a man just drowned there 2 weeks ago there is usually only one or two people/families there. I am hoping it is not too full when I take Tank.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I've taken Leann to an off leash beach. I think we were early enough in the season where it wasn't overly crowded. Aside from the salt water squirts, she has a blast.

She has great recall and really just ignores the other dogs. She wants to get down to the business of retrieving sticks from the water. The biggest problem we had was that many dogs wanted the stick Leann was retrieving. I ended up collecting sticks and offering a sacrificial stick to each dog who came to take hers away. lol It did help avoid potential problems.
A few of the dogs were a little rude/boisterous, but the owners were always there to step in.

There are only 2 non-lake off-leash beaches in the state, but I prefer the one that faces the inlet, to the one that faces the ocean. The waves are smaller and I'm always afraid Leann will swim off and get caught in a rip current. (I've heard about a few dogs this happened to and had to be rescued by nearby boaters). The beach at the inlet is very nice, clean and large enough to allow everyone plenty of space.

I do plan to go back this summer, but I don't like the inevitable squirts she gets when she swallows the salt water. I feed her chic/rice and start giving her a little Pedialite to help her get back to normal. Usually takes about 24-36 hours.

RonE, I agree. That is one very smart dog.

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
RonE, I agree. That is one very smart dog.
Not really. When we got there, the passenger seat was all wet and sandy. She could've jumped in through the driver's window.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I used to take Indie everyday. She isn't allowed to the beach for another month yet because of a tendon injury. But when she is better we will go every day again, all year round. Its only 5 minutes from my house so its a good walk and then play at the beach :) Sometimes I have a hard time with peoples other dogs because most of them have no recall. But Indies is fantastic. Just have to watch out for snakes in the brushes during summer time :S

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
We love taking Loki to the beach - sadly, there aren't many dog friendly beaches in our area. We head down to Maine for his beach time :) I think he enjoys digging in the sand the most though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts