Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did they act?

I've always wondered how my german shepherd would react so meeting her parents. She was reunited with a brother after about a year, which went very well. I'm not completely sure they remembered each other, but she did move on to play mode more quickly than she usually does with strange dogs.

Stories?

·
Registered
193 Posts
When my dog was a little over a year old, I met up with his breeder who brought along his mom, his sister and his half-sister. There seemed to be no recognition between him and his mom or him and his half-sister. His mom even growled at him at one point! But he and his sister played quite a bit and I think it seemed like they may have recognized each other. He did get really excited when he saw his breeder; he definitely recognized her. I'd love for him to meet up with his brother one day; they were apparently best friends and partners in crime when they were puppies. If he remembers any of his relatives it would be his brother!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Where I used to live the people that owned maggie's sister used to go the dog park all the time. They both know they are sisters every time they would see each other they would get so excited and only play with each others.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
My late Aussie, Jack, met his litter mate sister when he was 5 years old She tried to attack him and he jumped back startled and growled at her.

Kechara met up with her littermate brother 4 weeks after we took her home and the two of them have been in training classes and competitions with each other ever since.

Hawkeye and his two littermate brothers would all get in a fight if they were allowed to closely interact. And Hawk treats his litter mate sisters like any other bitch, sniffs their girly parts and then initiates play time.

·
Registered
673 Posts
We hand raised a litter of puppies when I was young. We kept one, and my grandparents kept another. So, whenever they visited, the sister came along to. They HATED each other. We had to separate them, or we'd wind up with our two dogs against the sister in an all out brawl. It was odd, because our dogs usually got along with others.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I have never experienced a reunion but from what I've read and heard from others, siblings are more likely to fight. This could explain a few of the above stories; we might not see their actions as 'recognizing' one another because we already have a clear picture of what we expect to happen. Then the opposite happens!

·
Registered
123 Posts
No I haven't. I was actually planning on letting Brittany meet her only sibling (a sister) for a 52 week photo project on Flickr. My step-dad told me I think the same week I had even thought about it that her sister had been hit by a car and killed. I have no clue where Britt's mom is.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Merlin knows and regularly see a couple of his littermates, several half siblings, his sire and dam.....
He interacts with them as dogs he knows. But I have never noticed any special affection.

He likes his sisters.... But he likes most girl dogs.
Same with his mother.

At the breeders, he would fight his sire given the opportunity.

When his sire has been here at my place, they have gotten along fine.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I used to have a mastiff which we brought to the breeder for a reunion. He was kinda curious and tried to play with a few but it wasn't like a happy reunion the way we humans imagine it to be. One of his brothers actually nipped at him so he avoided that one. He liked sitting next to his breeder though. He was the runt so he stayed the longest with the breeder.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Pentti has been reunited with his brother through a fence, and if they were put in the same pen, the would most likely fight. He saw his mom through the same fence (his brother and their mom are usually together in the same pen) and was the same to her as he would be towards any bitch, which would be trying to initiate play. Kimma saw her mom through a fence about 5 months after we took her home. She seemed to react the same as she would any other dog - tail wagging, excited, barky, etc. Nothing too special it seemed, though.

ETA - Now, their breeder himself, they LOVE. They PULL like crazy to get to him, wiggling and whining the whole time. They definitely know who he is LOL.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Mira has met her dad and a sister a year after coming to live with us -- she treated dad like any other dog and totally ignored her sister (there were bumpers being thrown whens she was out with her sister)

·
Super Moderator
11,513 Posts
I had a beagle from a long line of field champions. His mother and siblings were professional rabbit hunters and our Charlie was a family pet who occasionally went rabbit hunting.

We had the opportunity the spend a weekend hunting with his mother and a couple of siblings. Hunting with a pack of beagles is about the most fun you can have, even if you don't much care about shooting rabbits. My impression was that Charlie was about as happy to see his family as he would have been to see any other dogs. (He was a pretty social creature.) I saw no particular indication that he recognized them, though he was five months old when we got him and they were separated.

They, on the other hand, seemed embarrassed by the antics of this over-enthusiastic, inexperienced hound who would jump on a very cold trail and pursue it as if the rabbit were in plain sight. I imagined the conversations. "Can you believe this city boy? Does he think that rabbit is still in this county?"

Since that is the only purebred dog I've ever owned, I don't even know any siblings of the others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts