Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neice with the ACD is wanting to hire a trainer. She is wanting to be able to take her dog there 2-3 times a week and leave the dog for the day while she works so that the dog recieves training from a professional. What types of things should she be looking for? There are many choices here,just dont' know how to weed out the good ones. She of course will want training for herself at some point. Has anyone here ever done something like this? Did you feel it was money well spent?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I know of several facilities that offer a 'board and train' program. There are also many trainers who will board your dog for a month or so and train them. I guess you get a trained dog when you come to pick them up, but i'd be very weary.

I have thought about this option but decided it wasn't for me. For one, the cost. But most importantly, for me, was just that my dogs would be trained by someone else. Also, you dont know what the trainer is doing with your dog. I do know of one couple who had there dogs boarded and trained and well, it didnt turn out so good for them. The dogs came back with a whole new slew of aggression issues.

I would recommend signing up for a class instead. IMO, the dog is going to learn to respond to the trainer and in this situation, the trainer isnt the owner. If she really wants to pursue this, I would find a trainer who has a posted curriculum and lesson plan. Observe the trainer with other dogs. Call other clients and get a reference. I would also be looking for a trainer who recognizes the problems of training someone else's dog and has several lessons *with* your daughter to teach her.

The best dog trainers excel at interpersonal communication!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Well I happened to get a good reccommendation for a trainer from a friend at work who was having similar issues that we were-- large boisterous out of control dog monster (kidding on the monster). I also felt good that the trainer was head of the local Shutzhund club, while his wife was head of the Puppy Program at a local Canine Companions of Independence--they have 20 plus years of experience ... and they are partnered together for their own training school (you can take classes or do a 3 -4 week board and training session)-- And of course we interviewed him. He talked alot about Balance and also fairness-- and his system of rewards (a pet on the head, even) and "consequences"-- yes he used prong as well as E collar (mainly for recall long distance)....Also he was not Macho or anything, but presented as extremely patient, precise, and methodical. And he breeds Dobermans.. And the dogs are kennelled at night in a barn that also housed a horse and some goats so she (my dog ) was going to get acclimmatized to them too-- all this and my friends positive experience with this trainer helped. And I have to say my dog definately had a good expreience-- we got free "touch up" sessions for life after-- and she is so EXCITED and happy to see the facilities when we drive up.... And I am not sure we could have gotten her in control and settled down just doing the class route (we chose the boarding option-- he is about an hour and a half drive a way)...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts