Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
There was a similar ad on craigslist here not that long ago. It was a family who had bought a Great Dane to be a companion to their children but then realized how big it was and didn't want it in their small house. They wanted someone who would keep it at their house and be co-owner but let their young kids come over whenever they wanted and take it for walks.

People are nuts.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
There was a similar ad on craigslist here not that long ago. It was a family who had bought a Great Dane to be a companion to their children but then realized how big it was and didn't want it in their small house. They wanted someone who would keep it at their house and be co-owner but let their young kids come over whenever they wanted and take it for walks.

People are nuts.

They didn't know a Dane would be big? That's not nuts, that's just plain old stupid.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Yeah, but unfortunately I hear that all the time with Mastiffs as well. I once heard a Pet store Employee tell a customer a Mastiff wouldn't get over 65 lbs, I was standing right there and HAD to call him out and tell the customer that Mastiffs TYPICALLY got to 150-190 lbs and the largest lines were know to exceed 225 lbs.

The only time I've seen anything like the arraingment you see in the Craigslist ad is in the horse world with leasing. I guess if it gets done right it could work to the benefit of the dog. Better than getting dumped in the pound.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't have any problem with it.

If all the participants are committed to the welfare of the dog, it's better than putting a dog in a kennel for weeks at a time. Given the right circumstances it could help in the dog's socialization.

Dogs seem to be very adaptable if there is at least some modicum of routine. Mornings with family A, evenings with family B. Weekdays with A, weekends with B.

Is it ideal? Probably not. But it's a lot better than most dogs get. Again, all depends on the people.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I will shortly have an arrangment that borders on this for my own dogs.

I currently live with my parents. My dad and I work 7am-3pm, but my mom works from home and rarely needs to leave the house until someone else gets there. This summer I will be moving out with my boyfriend. He is a pilot and therefore out of town 14-16 days each month. When he is gone during the week, I will take the dogs to my parents' house in the morning so that they can be with my mom until I'm done with work at three. They will come home with me in the afternoons and stay with me on weekends. They will stay at home all day when my boyfriend is not working.

I know this isn't exactly the same, but it's pretty similar and I don't think it makes it an irresponsible or even weird dog owner. Dogs are pretty flexible and I would rather my two special needs boys were with my mom than in a kennel during the day. When I go on vacation, I prefer my parents to watch them than some random petsitter or, again, a kennel. I don't think it's that big a deal.

There are whole businesses that do this...I feel a little weirder about that than I do about a family who is trying to take care of their dog's needs by sharing their pet.

http://www.flexpetz.com/
http://www.tokyomango.com/tokyo_mango/2008/03/whats-hot-now-d.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
We looked at a Basenji that the breeder wanted to sell, but with the provisos that we must keep the dog intact, and that she could breed the dog when she wished.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Fille, I think your situation is completely different. I had a dog who stayed with my parents during the week and I got her on weekends because dogs were not allowed in the apt where I lived (I had the dog at school and brought her home with me and then moved out). But I couldn't stand being without her. Once I found a place that took dogs, I had her with me all the time. And yours is with family, not someone you advertised on CraigsList. I'm sorry, this is just weird. JMHO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts