Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have. I'm a go along get along kind of guy, and I find the pervasive judging in the dog owner world rather comical some times. I have to laugh at my own judgy thoughts sometimes too.

Most people can get behind judging the weekend warrior strutting around flexing his muscles with the barely contained overly aggressive attack dog lunging and growling by his side, or the guy shocking the hell out of his dog with a shock collar every 2 minutes. But what about the little things?

I've been judged for:
1. Putting clothes on my dog
2. Not putting clothes on my dog
3. My dog growling or lunging at another dog.
4. Barking my dog's name in a negative (bad dog) manner.
5. Not barking my dog's name.
6. Letting my dog on my furniture.
7. Not letting my dog on my furniture.
8. Crating my dog.
9. Not crating my dog.
10. Letting my dog greet another dog on a walk.
11. Not letting my dog greet another dog on a walk.
12. Not letting a kid pet my dog.

I've judged others for many of the same things I've been judged for at one time or another. My judgement settings are always morphing. But in the end, it's good to remember when I find myself pettily judging another dog owner I've never met that I don't know them and have no clue what kind of dog they're dealing with, how new they are to dogs, how new there dog is to them or the world, etc...

Would be nice to be able to walk around not feeling judged or being judgmental though. People are petty as a breed I think.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Keep your dog under control and with you and do not interfere with my dog. That is about it. If your dog is lunging and snarling (collar or harness) then take it away from my dog. If you want to let your dog greet other dogs on a walk ASK first and if they say No (and I will ALWAYS say No) then don't be offended by No. If you have a kid that wants to pet my dog, Ask first (my answer will be No) and do not be offended by me saying No.

I do not care if you dress your dogs in clothes, let them on the furniture, crate them or not or any of the rest of it. Your dog. You pay the bills. You feed the dog.

Just stay out of my space and keep your dog under control and away from me. Same with your child.

You interfere with me and I will absolutely judge you and you will most decidedly know it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep your dog under control and with you and do not interfere with my dog. That is about it. If your dog is lunging and snarling (collar or harness) then take it away from my dog. If you want to let your dog greet other dogs on a walk ASK first and if they say No (and I will ALWAYS say No) then don't be offended by No. If you have a kid that wants to pet my dog, Ask first (my answer will be No) and do not be offended by me saying No.

I do not care if you dress your dogs in clothes, let them on the furniture, crate them or not or any of the rest of it. Your dog. You pay the bills. You feed the dog.

Just stay out of my space and keep your dog under control and away from me. Same with your child.

You interfere with me and I will absolutely judge you and you will most decidedly know it.
LOL - I'm the same, except for the last sentence. I will heel my dog a safe distance and have a friendly conversation, tell them how cute their kid/dog is.. and politely weave in some friendly advice.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
LOL - I'm the same, except for the last sentence. I will heel my dog a safe distance and have a friendly conversation, tell them how cute their kid/dog is.. and politely weave in some friendly advice.
I used to. Waste of time mostly. I talk about corrections and using them, but I apply them more to humans than to dogs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yeah I judge and I'm sure get judged. I'm a to each his own kinda guy.......but....you know. I mostly get judgy when I'm working in other peoples homes. The time I got nailed by the " service dog " doberman. The time the small dog ran off with my hat and chewed it up and the owner didnt offer to replace. All the times I've been bit by small breeds whose owners think they can do no wrong. The time the boerboel slid across the floor and hit me with a closed mouth testing me and the owner laughs it off. The peoples homes that reek of pet urine and everything in sight is chewed. Yeah I get judgy sometimes.
Mostly it makes me appreciate my own dogs that much more.
I'm sure I get judged when people see my dog in his prong. Or when he's in my truck and someone walks to the window to see the nice doggie and he mouths off at them. I got the feeling once I was being judged for my dog not taking a treat from a stranger- like he was abused or something cause he didnt want any part of it. I know my wifes friends judge me when they come to our house and get a lecture on dog rules before coming in. It drives them nuts they cant interact with my dog. I'm sure they think I'm ridiculous to deprive him of all that attention. I explain that he does what I want him to- ignore houseguests- and I want him to stay that way. .....but I still get the stink eye lol.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes and yes.

Will they or I ever change? No.

I worry about it less than my wife does about my socks matching under my work boots.

There people on this forum and others I'm on, I judge due to there ideology when it comes to dogs.
Don't see that ever changing either.

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
I judge, in a casual sort of way, a lot of things.

I only open my mouth if:
1-) Their dog is in danger
2-) Their dog is a danger to me/my dogs
3-) They asked my opinion
4-) They are attempting to educate others, when clearly uneducated themselves. Making them a danger to other people and their dogs.

Otherwise, I have opinions and will talk about them, generally, in my own spaces but don't give much of a crap.

I'm sure I get judged, but frankly I pay people to judge me and my dogs. If I haven't given someone money to do so - well, I give it exactly as much consideration as I paid for it (ie: none/nothing).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's one I get at least momentarily judged on constantly. The infamous retractible leash. But I don't blame them, cuz I do the same thing.

It's apparently a thing now to hate on the retractible leash. Do a google search, and you'll find loads of material talking about the the evil retractible leash. I'll agree it can be a terror, but it can also be awesome.

I see this as assuming the lowest common denominator hate. Kind of like how police, over time, just assume everyone's a criminal because that's what they experience every day. But I'll admit I get a sense of smugness when I see a group of people coming from the other direction with their own dog on a 6ft leash panic at the sight of my dog exploring on his retractible... only to see me bring him to heel and calmly walk by on the other side of the trail while there dog goes apeshit. I mean, I'm not judging them! I'm deriving self satisfied pride in my dog? Maybe?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Yeah I think we've all been in both positions. I was definitely more judgemental before we got Kane. He has definitely opened my eyes to the fact that genetics plays a big part in a dogs temperament.

I will generally only say something though if the other person's dog is off leash. I will ask them to leash their dog. I get judged for that every time, but I know if our dogs get in a fight, mine will be the one to blame because he's "unfriendly" even though he was the one on leash and under control. And I don't need my dog set back in training just because someone thinks because their dog is friendly they don't have to obey the leash laws.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I tend not to travel in "dog circles" (ie: dog sports, dog parks, places where dogs frequent) so I don't get a lot of opportunity to do a lot of judging. My last dog was highly reactive toward strangers and other animals, so his times venturing into the world outside our property included car rides and occasional trips to the vet. With few exceptions, as long as people love and feed their dog, as well as keep it on a leash, in their home or behind a fence, I don't care if they crate/don't crate, feed raw/feed kibble, housebreak/don't housebreak, etc.

Now, I did take issue with a next-door neighbor years ago who had two shetland sheepdogs that barked day and night, day after day after day. I was so relieved when they moved and took their dogs and fire-starting child with them.

And I did speak up a few times to another friend who fed her dogs table scraps that included heavy spices. Normally, I'd keep my mouth shut, but I was close enough to this friend that I felt comfortable saying something--not to mention that I loved her dogs who I would regularly dogsit while the family was camping or on vacation. FYI, my concern was duly noted and immediately ignored. Apparently, her dogs have stomachs of cast iron.

I would dogsit for a coworker who allowed his dog on the furniture. Did I judge him for allowing that? Nope! I admired their owner/dog relationship, and his dog was sweet, gentle and well-mannered. So, when staying at my house, I'd let the dog on the sofa and it was allowed to sleep on the bed with me -- even though my own dog was not allowed to do either. I probably could have convinced his dog to stay off the furniture but I felt it best not to interrupt his dog's routine, especially since he was already dealing with surviving a long weekend without his daddy.

Want to see me get judgy? Put me in the same room with misbehaved children and their parent whose attention is glued to a cell phone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unless the dog is being harmed or could possibly harm someone/thing else I really don't have enough energy to muster up the effort to care tbh. Sure there are some petty things I find a bit silly but overall I'm a pretty laid back person. I'm the mother of a special needs kid and if it's taught me one thing it's that unless you know the full details of why someone is doing the thing they're doing then it's really not your place to judge (minus like I said...when causing potential harm). If someone is being considerate, loving their animal, taking care of it...I really don't give a single toot what leash they buy, where their dog sleeps, what it wears or doesn't wear, if it sneaks food off the counter or greets me with the energy of a three year old that chugged Mt. Dew.

Have I been judged? Well, haven't we all?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Oh yeah. I've chilled out a bit over the years - I generally don't care about what equipment a dog is wearing anymore, for example, assuming it's legal - but I still do it. Generally get most annoyed about stuff that actually impacts us/our training, which isn't really petty; dogs off-leash in areas or seasons when it's banned, owners who go out of their way to allow their dog to get in mine's face while I'm doing everything possible to keep distance and redirect my dog, that kind of thing. Apparently a reactive dog causing a huge fuss is 'funny' or 'cute' so long as it's a small dog doing the screaming...

I try not to even judge about weight these days, because I don't know a random dog's medical history or other circumstances. I will do my in-laws that their dachshund is fat, though, because I know in her case it's just too much food and minimal exercise - difference is, I know them, know the dog, and I don't make myself a pest about it (they know she's fat, but if don't listen to the vet students in the family, they sure aren't going to listen to me). But if I see someone using a technique that's clearly not working, or just making their dog worse? Yeah, I'm gonna judge. But like most of y'all, I'm keeping my mouth shut unless someone (dog or human) is in clear immediate danger or I've been explicitly asked for input.

I'm sure I get judged the heck out of for having a (loud) reactive dog, or for not wanting my dog to meet others on leash, or for being uncomfortable letting children (who speak a language I'm not fluent in) interact with him when I'm alone. I try not to let it bother me, because I'm doing the best I can for my dog, and his well being is so much more important than their ideas of what I'm doing 'wrong'. I'm sure I've been judged for valid reasons too, though. I was pretty dumb about dogs as a teen (walked my friend's large dog on a prong and flexi, yikes), and even when Sam was a puppy I was into trying to let him meet all the other dogs on leash (backfired, do not recommend, terrible way to socialize). Remembering that keeps me humble and my tongue in check, most of the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's one I get at least momentarily judged on constantly. The infamous retractible leash. But I don't blame them, cuz I do the same thing.

It's apparently a thing now to hate on the retractible leash. Do a google search, and you'll find loads of material talking about the the evil retractible leash. I'll agree it can be a terror, but it can also be awesome.

I see this as assuming the lowest common denominator hate. Kind of like how police, over time, just assume everyone's a criminal because that's what they experience every day. But I'll admit I get a sense of smugness when I see a group of people coming from the other direction with their own dog on a 6ft leash panic at the sight of my dog exploring on his retractible... only to see me bring him to heel and calmly walk by on the other side of the trail while there dog goes apeshit. I mean, I'm not judging them! I'm deriving self satisfied pride in my dog? Maybe?
Same here, though he started getting distracted by scents or chasing birds sometimes and ignoring me so I had to start locking it again (He's only 6 months old) until I can get recall back to 100%. Took 2 days to retrain him to walk loose leash until I give him a "go play" command... though now he just responds to the click of the leash button and takes off, since I wasn't fast enough unlocking it a couple times and "go play" ended up giving him a yank :( . It is definitely possible to use a flexi responsibly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts