Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know I have been posting a lot but I have a bit of PTSD from a very difficult situation I have just been through and I am really trying to do things as right as possible with our new lab puppy and my other dog.

My older dog, 3 year old Rotti mix, has now gotten used to our new puppy. My problem at the moment is that she seems to be starting to become a bit more protective than I need her to be. She seems to be more growly and barking more at people near the house when we (including the puppy) are in the yard. She has always been very comfortable in the yard but in the last couple of days she has barked at people walking by a few times and seemed to be more tense than the situation called for. She also had an experience a couple of weeks ago with a young boy that seems to have thrown her into a nervous spot about boys. When she is at work with my husband or out in public, she is a dream, never a problem. I have seen a slight bit of response to dogs related to the puppy (heading them off when they seem to be charging up to the puppy) but nothing out of control. Any suggestions for how to keep her calm?

Forgive me for seeming nervous but I am not kidding about the PTSD. I have been very, very anxious about the situation. My fear is that she will become human aggressive as my last dog did. I am beginning to lose sleep over this stuff. Ok, I know. You guys are not therapists...I just figure you can understand the way it feels to worry about your dog.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Dogs will do almost any job that you let them do. In this case, she might think that she has to protect the home front because of the puppy. Not entirely bad but, you're right about showing her that this isn't her job. You do that by stepping inbetween her and any 'intruder'....showing her that you'll handle the situation...it's not her job.

No need for verbal corrections. A calm Quiet command is fine if needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts