Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A baby bird? Brigit Ate one today, and it made me sad. I couldn't stop it. It was still pink, it didn't have any feathers, and it took her one chomp to swallow. My husband told me I should've been watching her. I was watching her, we were in the back yard. How could I have stopped her? I couldn't possibly have run across the yard as fast as she ate that. I feel bad for the birdie. We are working with her on drop and leave it, but she's not even close to being reliable with those commands. We don't even have any nests in our yard, I don't understand where this tiny thing came from.

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
It's heartbreaking but there's a good chance that a bird that young on the ground wasn't going to survive long anyway. Don't blame yourself or your dog.

My lab used to maim rabbits - mostly babies, but a few adults. Because he was a retriever, he normally wouldn't kill them - just severely injure them and then bring them to me. It was left to me to finish them off, which I never enjoyed. My kids would beg me to take the rabbit, with multiple internal injuries and broken limbs, to the vet to "fix."

I never did but I said to the dog, "If you're going to catch them, I'd appreciate it if you would finish the job."

I don't recall if that made any impression on him.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It happens here all the time. Not just with birds, but cottontails, jackrabbits, skunks, mice, you name it, our dogs have gone after it. It's nobody's fault and with all due respect, I disagree with your husband's notion that you watching the dog would have made any difference. These things happen.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
none of mine have gotten hold of anything but w/ the goosing, one of the things we can/will do is take the dogs and "hassle" the parents/babies to try to get them to leave the property (they can't fly, but once they decide the place is not safe they will walk off the site and relocate up to 2 mi in a day)....the dogs aren't supposed to bother the goslings (supposedly don't know they're geese yet) but someone forgot to tell that to Tir one time....she kept going after the babies, who would dive (they were on the water) when she got too close and resurface somewhere else....the look on her face was priceless---"almost there, almost, almost....what the hell? where'd it go?...there it is...." and repeat....don't know what they'd do if they actually found anything, tho....

·
Registered
673 Posts
my old dog did. She got a hold of a bird, not a baby bird though, killed it and proceeded to run around with it in her mouth. It was a waste of time trying to catch her with it, she came to me after in was in her belly (feathers and all) I wouldn't feel bad at all, their dogs after all:) I felt bad for the bird though

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
We get Geese at our pond all the time with their babies and I send Kechara out to get them.

she never hurts them though, I guess it's the herding dog in her not to chomp and kill. she has been right up next to the babies while they were waddling toward our pond and she just kept driving them, going left and right behind them, never attempting to bite.

I wish I could say the same for Hawk as I just found him chewing on a decapitated mouse head that I'm pritty sure our cat, Butch, left laying in the grass.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Eddie got a baby bird once a long time ago. We were playing in the yard and he suddenly ran down in the woods, when he came back he had the baby in his mouth. He hadn't killed it yet but just carried it around in his mouth for awhile. I could hear it chirping and I couldn't get him to drop it. Eventually, he killed it but didn't eat it. I was really sad but there wasn't anything I could do at the time. It's just what happens sometimes and its nature even though its distasteful to us at times. He's also killed adult birds as well and countless ground moles. He tries to bring the dead ground moles in the house which really grosses me out.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
This isn't really related but kinda funny in a morbid way. When I was a kid we had a cat. One day cat comes in and throws up a bright red pile onto the kitchen floor. We thought the cat was seriously sick. As my mom goes out the back door to throw the vomit in the trash she sees a beak and two feet on the patio. The cat had eaten a Red Cardinal. Apparently beaks and feet aren't edible!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I witnessed one of my last dogs, Brutus, eat a bird once. It was actually quite amazing. He was walking calmly across the yard, la-di-dah, when he suddenly lept off the ground and snapped a hummingbird out of flight. Swallowed it and kept right on sauntering. It was like one of those National Geographic specials about sharks.

Cammy wasn't much of a hunter, but she used to put her head down the gopher holes for a good sniff. Came up with a gopher attached to her nose or lip on several occasions. She never seemed to mind and would, in fact, jauntily continue her walk with a critter just hanging off her face.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Allie has killed numerous things, and eaten them. Birds, rabbits, mice, moles, muskrats, at least one fox, squirrels, fish. I feel bad for the animals but it happens.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot. I feel better knowing that it isn't just my little monster. I still feel bad though. But I know there was no way I could get her to drop something that yummy. I was kinda worried she'd have a hard time digesting the beak and stuff since she didn't really get a chance to chew before she swallowed, but she was fine all day. My sister brought up the possibility that there may be a tiny bird in her poop pretty soon. I hope she chewed it enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dogs have unfortunately gotten a hold of a few wild birds, bunnies, possums etc. in the years I've owned them. It always is sad though. Sometimes the pups are just a bit too quick. I know I've gotten to the back of my yard all the way behind rows of trees to find my dogs licking their lips...and then I already know...

They always think it was just an extra meal though. :(

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's not your fault, or your dogs. It's what they do. Pretty much what everyone else has said..

But I just wanted to add that my ferret got out of his recovery cage (he just had surgery) and went down stairs and my bunny was out for his nightly play time...I'm sure you can figure out what happened :( . Its really just what animals do. It's nobodys fault. Try not to beat yourself up about it.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Thanks a lot. I feel better knowing that it isn't just my little monster. I still feel bad though. But I know there was no way I could get her to drop something that yummy. I was kinda worried she'd have a hard time digesting the beak and stuff since she didn't really get a chance to chew before she swallowed, but she was fine all day. My sister brought up the possibility that there may be a tiny bird in her poop pretty soon. I hope she chewed it enough.
I doubt you'll find anything in your dog's elimination that even resembles a baby bird. Our dogs are fed raw, bone-in chicken feet, turkey legs, rabbits, pig feet, etc. as a part of their diet. It all gets digested.

No need to fret, your dog saved that baby bird from suffering.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
The baby bird would have died anyway. I've tried to save a few and not many survived.

My old aussie shepherd loved to eat rabbits or birds, she especially loved uncovering a rabbit nest and scarfing up the pink baby rabbits.

I never knew if she actually caught the rabbits she chased, until once she caught one in the trail right in front of me, and ate it head first right on down to the tail. Fur, bones and all. Was pretty barbaric.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Not that I recall observing at the moment, but they catch adult birds and will eat those. That small though falling out of the nest is like a death sentence either by animal like that your dog or from starving, baking in the sun. The last 2 are typically much worse death.

And no you couldn't stop it. Can't believe your DH would say that, since you were upset it was kind of insensitive to blame you. Having our dogs under supervision is great but doesn't mean we can still control everything they do.

·
Registered
981 Posts
My little Pom even caught a baby rabbit a month or so ago (and she is only five months now) and I think she killed it. I thought at the time "my baby is a killer" but it is in a animal's instinct to catch other animals.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
When hurricane Ivan hit, we found a baby squirrel on our doorstep. My grandfather would help out baby squirrels when hurricanes came and he found them. So we put the baby in a box and fed him. About 30 minutes before we were going to take the baby to my grandfather's house, Shadow found him. Our fence was totally gone, so the dogs were tied up and her rope must not have been tight enough. It was heartbreaking and it happened in the blink on an eye.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts