Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm pretty sure I texted my wife at least once after we got Chester saying "I'm just going to run away and never come back." Yeah, it was pretty rough :p If he wasn't chewing on everything he was biting me, or maybe pooping liquid poops all night long(at least he went outside! But I still got zero sleep for days at a time). He had Giardia, then he just had random bouts of diarrhea which we now have under control kinda(not sure, the Tylosin still isn't done yet...). Things really started to turn around once we started really training him. Took him to a puppy fundamentals set of classes and then to an 8-week obedience course. We're not done yet, but those two things have made a huge difference in his behavior. He's still only just about 5.5 months old, so we've got a ways to go but things are a hundred times better now than they were when we brought him home at 10 weeks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Haha! I think my husband wants to run away too, but he hasn't said it to me yet. We have our puppy training scheduled for the end of the month and then I plan on looking into additional training afterward. I want to train as much as much wallet can afford before the teenage phase begins. It really is unbelievable how much your life changes in one day when you bring a pup home. I also happened to get sick the day after we brought him home, so sickness exhaustion on top of puppy exhaustion is probably contributing to my wild emotions right now.
Yeah, my stress levels went up just from the responsibility of looking after him, making sure he wasn't getting into stuff, wondering if I'm doing the wrong thing etc, and then the lack of sleep on top of that just drove me right to the edge a few times. Getting up once during the night to let him out wasn't so bad, but it was when he had diarrhea that it got really bad because I'd be up 4-6 times a night. You get used to it, and the puppy will become more manageable the more training you do. Combine that with just general growing up and I feel like it's gotten a lot better...apparently it might get worse again once he's around 7 months but we'll see...not there yet! :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.