Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am new to this forum. I found it while searching the internet for help with my new puppy. She is a lab/shepard mix (we think) that was found with her litter mates in a dumpster! She is now 8 weeks old but I got her 2 weeks ago at 6 weeks. I have a feeling most of the problems I am having with her are due to not having her mother "train" her. First of all, I am crate training. When I take her out of the crate I take her right outside and she will pee and poop. And as soon as we come into the house, she pees and poops in the house again. When she is out for play time she squats and pees wherever she wants. We yell "no" but she just keeps doing it. The worst thing though is her biting. I know mouthing is normal for a pup but she will start mouthing and then growl and snarl and bite very hard and wont stop like she is possessed or something! I hold her snout and say "no" firmly but nothing stops her when she gets into those moods. I just wind up putting her back in her crate. She is starting to exhaust me and the kids (teens) are starting to get afraid of her attacks. She seems to have a jekyll/hyde personality because sometimes she is a lovable mush! Please help me to find a way to get her to stop the aggressive biting and growling. Thanks so much. By the way, I also have a 9 year old dog who is also a lab/shepard mix and she is so sweet and trained really quickly. She wants nothing to do with this new friend. She hides from her!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Okay for the house training:
Don't yell at her when you see her doing it, that's very important. As if you keep yelling at her she'll become nervous about going in front of you and learn to hide it from you, which just leads to an even bigger problem. Instead when you catch her in the act, calmly walk over and pick her up even if she's still going and take her directly outside. Praise, praise, praise, and praise some more when she gets it right and goes outside. Also after playing, right after a nap, after eating, etc. your puppy is more likely to go so make sure to take her out after any of those activities. Also take her out every hour and if she's still having accidents start taking her out every half hour. Setting her up for success is one of the most important things you can do.

Biting:
When she bites you there are several things you can do. First you can yelp loudly like a puppy would and end the play session. If that fails to work when she bites you, get up and leave the room for a few seconds. Eventually she should catch on that when she bites play ends. Also don't forget to praise her for playing nicely! Please don't grab her by the muzzle.

I hope I was of some help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. I still feel that her aggressive biting does not stop with a yelp or firm tone. She gets "in the zone" and won't stop so I resort to putting her in her crate. Is there a way to make her stop? Sometimes on a walk she will start jumping on me and biting wildly and I wind up carrying her home and crating her. I don't want her to associate the crate with a punishment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts