Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have a new to us Havi. She's 5 years old and we are now her forever home. She has been with us for 6 weeks now.

He bought her for me from a respected breeder of show dogs. The problem is she is in love with him and will not have anything to do with me.

We are in our sixties and live at the beach, so her life style is pretty darn good. She is a good dog other than the normal barking a being stubborn.

Anyone have any ideas for us ?

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Time.

Both in terms of a spending time with her (walks, play, training, car rides even if she likes them) and giving her time to adjust. 6 weeks in a new home is a very short time for an adult dog to decompress and get used to new routines, new people, new expectations. 3-5 months is a more likely time frame for a dog coming from a good background (as in from one normal home to another without a period as a stray or in a shelter) to settle in. Many dogs with have some shift in preferred people and preferred activities over that time. It may be that for example, she decides she likes evening snuggles with your husband because he stays up late reading and morning playtime with you because you have breakfast coffee on the beach (just to illustrate, imagine your own habits and schedules of course)

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I agree. It takes time. It is not uncommon for a new dog to latch on to one person as they adjust. Make sure to keep tasks equal between you and your husband, give it time, and she'll come around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts