Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We have a "slow bowl" for one of our cats -- and it works well to slow him down. I would think the dog would just take the ball out of the bowl and then gulp the food down?

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
You might try using a food dispensing toy like a bob-a-lot, kong wobbler, or tug-a-jug. We have a stick toy that she just loves (and it's much quieter than other food toys, so we can use it while others sleep).

Also, we use parts of meal for training. When Katie was younger, she got about half her dinner while she was learning loose leash walking. Now, we use some of her kibble to practice various cues (e.g., sit, stay, down) while we're out.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You might try using a food dispensing toy like a bob-a-lot, kong wobbler, or tug-a-jug. We have a stick toy that she just loves (and it's much quieter than other food toys, so we can use it while others sleep).

Also, we use parts of meal for training. When Katie was younger, she got about half her dinner while she was learning loose leash walking. Now, we use some of her kibble to practice various cues (e.g., sit, stay, down) while we're out.
I second this. Kabota would eat his food so fast, he'd choke and throw it back up. Now I pack up his food in a ball and he has to roll it around the floor to get a piece of kibble out at a time. It takes him 15 minutes or so to get everything out. I also use 1/3 of his daily portion for training, one kibble at a time.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Saying that kibble cleans teeth is like saying eating cookies cleans ours. I wouldn't rely on that to keep your dog's teeth clean - either brush them, or feed them some RMBs few times a week.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
FYI: Kibble doesn't clean teeth.
This

Saying that kibble cleans teeth is like saying eating cookies cleans ours. I wouldn't rely on that to keep your dog's teeth clean - either brush them, or feed them some RMBs few times a week.
And this.

Kibble does absolutely nothing to clean teeth. Only raw meaty bones and/or brushing your dogs teeth will do that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, Nala get's her teeth brushed at least three times a week. :p
I just naively believe what they say on the back of dog food bags, ha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts