Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

stupid question - has my dog got fleas? I'll just lay out the specs here.

Luna has just been sterilized and instead of one of a lamp cap around her neck she has gotten a sort of dog-shirt.

She is rolling in the grass constantly which may be due to the shirt itself.

-I found (I was surprised, I've used frontline on her on a monthly basis) a live flea. Just one, walking on her face. And that's when my worries triggered.

-I have checked for black spots - she only seems to have white sandy material that sort of resembles dandruff. But no black 'droppings' so far.

-I have also not found other live fleas - I checked specifically around the base of the tail and neck.

The last time I used an anti-flea material it was not Front Line because the vet was out of stock - and now I am worried (after being at the vet's place a week ago for a day because of sterilization) that she has fleas.

What do I do? And what do you think?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I am using Frontline Plus... and my dog has fleas. In Texas, USA, we've had a very bad flea season, so that may be part of it. However, Frontline does not REPEL fleas, it only kills all fleas during all parts of the lifecycle, so if your dog is getting exposed to new fleas, then she can be infected until the fleas bite her and die.

Because the dog just came out of surgery, I suggest that you call the Vet and ask for recommendations. Some folks have suggested dusting with diatomaceous earth, or using other repellants, but I'm not so sure after surgery.

BTW, you can also pick some of the fleas of.... which is what I try to do... then crush between two fingernails...

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Seeing one flea isn't necessarily an issue. Different species of fleas live on different hosts so it may just have been some random flea picked up on a walk or at the park. I've seen fleas jump off my dog even though he never had a flea problem.

If you haven't seen any signs around the base of the tail, I probably wouldn't worry about it yet. Still it wouldn't hurt to call and ask the vet to see what they think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My suggestion would be to consult vet before fleas start to harm your dog as it can be tough for him later on if it is really flea & tick issue. Medication like fronltine plus can help to remove fleas from dogs. For better prevention start taking care of surroundings of your dog.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota's had fleas despite frontline, too, and I'm in PA. His were all in his britches and were found by the groomer on Saturday. I called the vet, but I can't dose him again for 2 more weeks. It's just been a bad year for fleas overall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts