Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted to try feeding raw for awhile but am chicken(no pun intended) that I will not be giving them a balanced diet. Even though it is expensive I thought I may try a frozen type of raw to see if they like it and how they do and then try to do it on my own.
Has anyone tried the Primal?
Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Haven't tried it--it looks like a really good brand and they have lots of variety of meat to try.

I don't know if cost is an issue--I tried to look for stores in my area that sold it and there are none, (I live in the country) but PawNaturaw is pretty reasonable--not much variety though--it ends up being 5 dollars a pound for frozen ground chicken or turkey with bone, and veggies. They also offer free shipping from amazon. Good luck!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've fed it in the past..I think Primal is a great brand. I preferred to feed their "Mix" formulas. They come in 2 and 5 lbs. "chubs" and aren't exactly a complete diet. (mostly because they don't add vitamins). I supplement with a few products, so I don't mind that it doesn't contain vitamins.
The Turkey Mix is 80% meat, bone and organs and 20% veggies..that one along with the Buffalo Mix were my favorites.
I wish I could afford to continue feeding their products, but it is MUCH cheaper to buy meat products at my grocery store, even if I can't get Buffalo there! They also have a "Grind" that has only meat, bone and organs and 0% produce. That would be something I would try, too.
Good luck! I see you have schnauzers..I have a black standard schnauzer and she looks fantastic, even with only half of her diet being raw! She loves it more than anything. :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input. I have a trial package from Primal with 3 oz of each meat- I think I will try the chicken first and see if they like it. I have 4 schnauzers but for now I am going to try this with just the two in the avatar.
Hersheypup I remember seeing pictures of your standard awhile back--she is a beauty.
The one thing that frightened me a little was in the brochure from Primal- they warned that at first you may have some unpleasant changes in your dog- such as thinning coat and excessive ear wax.
My dogs are both in a rolled coat and look really good. I would hate to see their coat get ruined. I don't know if this is just a warning maybe for people that are switching from a bad nasty food to raw. They are on Eagle Pack now so I hope that won't happen. I have not noticed anyone on the forum mentioning anything like that. Could be just one of those disclosures that covers them in case.
Anyway, thanks Andreangil and Hersheypup I'll let you know how they do.
Beth

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To Peterleonne--I appreciate your response but I am not trying to start a debate on feeding raw. That has already been done in a thousand threads. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what is right- but we all know that a lot of Vets think that every dog should be on Science Diet. I respect my Vet and he has been very good at working with me on many things- but lets face it- his office is full of Science Diet. (LOL)
Ok back to the frozen raw diets. My boys have been on Primal for two days now (morning meal only--increasing amounts each day) They love it and have had no ill effects.
I went to buy some more yesterday and noticed that the store also carries Natures Variety Raw. Once I have them switched over to raw, are these two brands interchangable enough so that if they are out of one brand I could use the other? My freezer is small and I can only store so much at a time at home.
Thanks everyone for your help
Beth

·
Registered
74 Posts
To Peterleonne--I appreciate your response but I am not trying to start a debate on feeding raw. That has already been done in a thousand threads. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what is right- but we all know that a lot of Vets think that every dog should be on Science Diet. I respect my Vet and he has been very good at working with me on many things- but lets face it- his office is full of Science Diet. (LOL)
Ok back to the frozen raw diets. My boys have been on Primal for two days now (morning meal only--increasing amounts each day) They love it and have had no ill effects.
I went to buy some more yesterday and noticed that the store also carries Natures Variety Raw. Once I have them switched over to raw, are these two brands interchangable enough so that if they are out of one brand I could use the other? My freezer is small and I can only store so much at a time at home.
Thanks everyone for your help
Beth
Switching between both brands is actually beneficial as they get different sources of the meats. A variety between protein sources is good too. Make sure you change flavors so they get different nutrients as well as get all the enzymes in their stomach working. I go between both brands my self, and while i am not completely raw feeding my dog (only because of cost and freezer space) i have seen no problems switching between the 2 brands. As far as feeding RAW goes, first of all, this guy has 1 post in the forums, i say he is spamming for that other website. Second, dogs have a much shorter digestive tract than humans. the bacteria in the raw food doesn't have enough time to to colonize in a dogs digestive tract. Dogs also have a very acidic stomach which kills bacteria. Dog's saliva also has enzymes that kill bacteria as well. Raw food is not bad for dogs. Also, dogs stomachs are not designed to absorb hard food. Kibble isn't bad for dogs but it is not as easily digested as canned or RAW food. Vets get about 2 weeks training at the most on nutrition and the class is taught by.... you guessed it, Hills Science Diet.

Benefits of RAW:

Less poop
Less gas
Poop doesnt stink as much
Cleaner teeth
Better coat
Better health resulting in less trips to the vet (maybe thats why they dont like RAW LOL)
Dog's natural diet
More absorbable than kibble

Cons of RAW:

Price
Not as convenient as kibble

Really, the only thing you have to be careful with RAW about is washing your hands and using safe handling procedures for humans. the same you do with raw food that you cook for yourself. Also, if you have kids you want to make sure fido dont go and lick them all over as some bacteria may spread. So in conclusion, safe for dogs, not safe for human consumption :)

Source: I work at a healthy pet food store and have been trained by not only the owners but also by various reps from different food companies that sell RAW and kibble.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I believe you can change between them easily. I found that my dogs preferred the Nature's Variety Chicken and Turkey Medallions better than the Primal prepared "chunks"..they are rectangles, if I remember correctly.

The ingredients are somewhat different...but I don't thnk it is dramatically different, especially if you stay with the same meat source.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I forgot to mention about why rotational feeding is beneficial. First of all, switching between meats will keep it interesting for your dog. He wont get bored with the same thing all the time. Dogs develop allergies to foods if they are constantly fed the same thing. And, different enzymes digest different meats. The enzyme that digests beef won't digest chicken, the enzyme for chicken won't digest lamb etc. Having all the enzymes working creates a much healthier and stronger immune system. Both Nature's Variety and Primal believe in rotational feeding. When i buy food, be it RAW or kibble, I always buy a different flavor than the time before.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I started out with the chicken--but I do intend to rotate. The trial package contained chicken, duck , beef and lamb. There is also venizon available but it was not in the sample pack. How long should I stay with the chicken before I try a new protein source- and does it matter which I try next?
Primal suggests duck next but I will have to check out the fat content in that one since schnauzers are prone to hyperlipidemia.
I was amazed at how much my picky little boys liked it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I tried it but Chloe wouldn't eat much of it, so I stuck with Nature's Variety raw medallions. I started her on chicken for a few months then switched meats every time I bought another bag. She likes every one except the beef flavor, venison being her favorite (and the most expensive of course!).

It's really the only food she will eat all at once and she is doing great on it after a full year. Her poops are fine, small and normal, her coat shiny and soft and no gas!!!! Of course food will effect each dog differently but I am a huge fan of NV. They now sell trial size bags for $4.99, and offer coupons on their website.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Haven't tried it--it looks like a really good brand and they have lots of variety of meat to try.

I don't know if cost is an issue--I tried to look for stores in my area that sold it and there are none, (I live in the country) but PawNaturaw is pretty reasonable--not much variety though--it ends up being 5 dollars a pound for frozen ground chicken or turkey with bone, and veggies. They also offer free shipping from amazon. Good luck!
I also get mine from amazon. Cant beat the free shipping!

·
Registered
53 Posts
both are grain free (there are raw foods out there that are not) I think switching between them would be good. i personally was going to go with primal, but the prices of premade scared me into doing it myself.. im still tempted to supplement with this sometimes

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear you about the price.
I have had two out of the four on Primal for a week and they are doing very well--but they are already on their second bag. Good thing they are small or it would be cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feed primal to most of my dogs. Raw food is really the best way to feed most dogs. Lots of vets will bring up the fact that dogs might get some unwanted bacteria from raw food but thats a bunch of bull. Dogs are designed to eat raw food. God didn't give them the ability to cook did he? I've never seen a dog cook.
If your dog is on any steriod meds that vet love to give to dogs with skin problems I would not feed raw until you get your pooch off of them. I've had clients who have fed raw while on steriods and it about killed thier dog. Just a warming there

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hadn't heard that before--anyone else? Why would that be? Compromised immune system? Ulcers?
For the record I hate that the first thing that vets want to use is steroids but sometimes they are necessary. I would be curious if anyone else has heard this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've not been told this either. I have a dog on with SIBO and lung issues who is taking Temaril-P. We started him on Primal Raw almost 4 weeks ago and he's actually thriving for the first time since I brought him home to foster (and now have adopted). It's also the first time I've had a "normal" vet agree that raw may be the very best thing for him, but he didn't mention any threats from the Temaril that may cause a problem that I would need to watch out for. Mind you, Foz also on antibiotics for the SIBO as well, which may be the reason he is not concerned. I would love some more information on this though.

Back to the original topic - I've only fed the Primal so far, but my problem boy is thriving on it. He eats everything for the first time ever and it seems to be agreeing with his digestive system as well. I've not tried NV yet, but I was thinking about picking some up today with his normal food as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts