Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.5 year old field bred english cocker spaniel? Love her to pieces and she's so sweet. I realize the breed is a high energy breed, but I was wondering what type of exercise you do with your dog. Mine is very seldom tired and could go and go all day long. Some down time during the day would be nice, but she only seems to get tired around 7 o'clock at night.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have a pair of American cockers. One well bred show lines, one badly bred looks more fieldy. My show boy needs far less exercise. My fieldier girl at 7 is never tired. 2 day agility trial.. the ride home she sleeps, time we are home she's back to high as a kite. I can't really tre her out. Multi hour off leash hikes.. we rollerblade together, I keep her at a run for good chunks of it... not tired.

Mine both can settle.. but not enough exercise.. and she can be destructive.. even at 7..

We play fetch in the tennis courts
Rollerblade
5-6Km jogs
Agility
Rally obedience
Obedience
Off leash hiking
Swimming

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I really want to get involved in agility with mine. I need to check into that. I have a fenced back yard and she enjoys that when we're out there playing fetch. Also, we take two walks each day, but she would be happy going on 10 walks every day. Thanks again.

·
Registered
631 Posts
No worries. I'm a student again.. I'm so starved for time that I've been thinking about getting a dog walker to take my guys for an off leash romp at least once a week to help. Have you thought abut some indoor mental stimulation games? Mental stimulation can tire them out more than physical. Hiding cookies.. having them look and smell for them. Trick training. There's some foundation work for agility you could do inside, hand targets, nose touches getting used to a wobble board, contacts on the lowest step of stairs.. Dinner in a treat ball to bat around..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the "contacts on the lowest step" all about? I'm familiar with most of the other things you mentioned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts