Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Sojos food for almost 21/2 years now. I was attracted to the food while checking it and reading user testimonials, (reviews) on their web page. But I have never come across another person using this food? If you are interested in my personal review would be glad to post. Sure would like to hear from others as well.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My mother uses it when she travels and can't take raw though she does not use it on its own because it has very very little meat in it.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I haven't tried it. My first reaction is that it looks like there is very little meat. It seems like it might be a good option if you were trying an elimination diet as the ingredients list is relatively short.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Aren't you supposed to mix it with meat? Or is that another brand I'm thinking of?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
I just started to feed mine Ziwipeak for breakfast, which is really expensive so I can only afford to feed it for one meal a day. So I feed mine Sojos complete beef for dinner due to the affordable price and the fact that Casbah likes it as much as the ZP. It doesn't bother me that the Sojos has less meat in it since the ZP is so high in protein. I think the Honest Kitchen is better than Sojos but it is also more expensive as well. I will probably feed that next and omit the ZP. Grandma Lucy's Artisan is another one I will try at some point.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Jared, thirdgen something or other, has fed it. He's the one who rescued the two puppies and kept them. He lso has a dog named Piggy

·
Registered
818 Posts
I just bought some to try with my dogs as a kibble topper. I will let you know how it goes over with them.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replys. Sojos say they have been around for twenty five years and Honest Kitchen 10 - 12 plus years. But I have found real people saying they like HK. Sojos also claim that their food is balanced and meets all nutritional needs. Just wish I could hear from another user. Will check out ziwipeak. Hard to think it is more expensive then a eight pound bag of Sojos at $81.00.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I decided to feed ZiwiPeak and Sojos together because Sojos only gets 3.5 stars on dogfoodadvisor while ZP gets 5 stars. The pet supply store I go to charges $17 for a 2 lb bag of Sojos and $28 for a 2.2 lb. bag of Ziwipeak. The Ziwipeak looks like little pieces of meat jerky. You don't have to add water to it, you just serve it as is and you feed less of it. I think I'll switch to HK and Grandma Lucy's artisan and buy Ziwipeak for camping trips and to feed when I'm late and don't have time to wait for food that has to be rehydrated. Although HK only has to sit for 5 minutes after rehydration while Sojos has to sit for at least an hour, even better if over night.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Thanks for the replys. Sojos say they have been around for twenty five years and Honest Kitchen 10 - 12 plus years. But I have found real people saying they like HK. Sojos also claim that their food is balanced and meets all nutritional needs. Just wish I could hear from another user. Will check out ziwipeak. Hard to think it is more expensive then a eight pound bag of Sojos at $81.00.
I've fed The Honest Kitchen for 6yrs, I believe. I love the company, what they stand for, what they do, they tell you where ingredients come from, I have absolute faith in them as a company. My dogs love the food more than anything else. If you have not tried THK, give it a shot. They have one formula, Preference, that must be mixed with your meat protein. They have grainfree ones: Zeal is fish, Embark is turkey, Force is chicken, Love is Beef...their grain inclusive formulas are Verve, Keen and Thrive. They have a great website, one of those that you click a link off a link, tons of info there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am a THK user as well. My 2 dogs LOVE all of their formula's and I love their Preference product for my allergic boy - I just add my own meat to it. I have used Keen, Thrive, Force, Embark and Preference. We are currently waiting for our free 10 pound box of Zeal (we collect the bar codes to send it for free food ) I just recently bought a small bag of the Sojo's meatless mix to try but haven't tried it yet. My mom's 9 year German Shepherd loves his Keen - he had a double hernia repair with mesh inserts almost 2 years ago. Of course after surgery they suggested Science Diet - we opted for home cooking instead and consulted a dog nutritionist. After a few months we decided to change him over to Keen due to cost and he has never looked better! I always top off all the formulas with some extra protein just in case.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've had both Sojos and THK at our house (We still have some sojos in the pantry) but my girls don't really like it. They always pick out the meat pieces and leave the rest. They do much better with kibble mixed with a teaspoon of wellness canned food.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts