Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing food trials for over a year, my Shih Tzu is highly allergic to animal proteins and flaxseed. Sensitivity to rice and white potatoes (makes her mildly itchy), and we are still finding out if there is anything else. A vegetarian diet for dogs makes me nervous but is it possible to feed a dog a vegetarian diet with protein rich foods. So far she seems to be handling eggs which I know is a good protein source. I am so frustrated with this whole situation. This is my second Shih Tzu that has been allergic to the air they breathe. I love the breed but she will be the last one I own. It seems like the breed is notorious for allergies.

Please share any reputable sites with good information on feeding a vegetarian diet or dealing with dogs with many allergies. Also, what kind of foods do you feed? I know it's dependent on what the dog will tolerate.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Perhaps getting a book on feeding dogs a home cooked diet would help. Online is Dr. Strombeck's classic.http://dogcathomeprepareddiet.com/

If you want to be extremely precise and loads of info on how to develop a diet for an allergic dog look at Monica Segal's 'Optimal Nutrition'. She does online consulting as do a number of other people. She's got numbers so you can calculate exactly what your dog needs. Really great when I had a sick dog.

Unless using purified proteins plant proteins come with their own baggage. Dogs just like humans can often not tolerate the types of sugars and fiber in high fiber plant foods. I wish I could eat beans twice a day but can only eat them one time for instance.

My dogs are raw fed and eggs are a good addition but usually one a day for a medium sized dog is about right. My 13 pound dog was fine on an egg a day for months on end when I had free eggs. With the first pair of dogs I fed a lunch with egg white to the sick one and the other got the yolk. Yolk fed dog got fat but that was on me. They certainly loved it. That's the limit of my experience with egg as a large part of the diet. I'd be perfectly happy feeding egg as a protein.

Ms. Segal suggests calming down the allergies by going with the nasty sounding vet's food. Then slowly start working out exactly what the dog can tolerate. Once you have a carb and a protein set you can try to find a kibble/can that will work or you can continue to develop your own recipe.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts