Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 4 month old Rottie who is experiencing swelling at injection sites (2 shots) and around his mouth/nose, maybe his tongue. Has anyone dealt with this ? I've read it could be an allergic reaction.... thoughts ?

Kip

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
If he's having ANY type of reaction you should be at the vets office! Vaccine reactions can be severe enough to endanger his life.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We were able to reach the vet early Monday morning. She confirmed it was an allergic reaction and noted it for future. We re now giving him pills for it.
We kept a very close eye on Diesel throughout and made sure he was breathing ok, eating , bodily functions, reasonably active.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Glad to hear he's ok, Vaccine reactions can be very scary. You might go to the top of the health forum and print out hte vaccine protocol issued by Dr Dodds and discuss it with your vet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diesel didn't show up with the lumps at the injection sites or the swollen mouth until 5 days after his injections. Nor did the previous owner (she's not a professional breeder, not that that's an excuse, just wanted to say) mention any issues with vaccines so it's probably the rabies vaccine. It's noted in my records and the vets chart for next time. His office said they would automatically give us the pills with the vaccine next time :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Diesel didn't show up with the lumps at the injection sites or the swollen mouth until 5 days after his injections.
That does seem like a rather extended period of time. It seems the vaccine should have been fully absorbed into the dog's system well before that point. That is a far enough gap that I would not consider the vaccinations as the only cause of an allergic reaction. It could have also been something in the environment, something he ate that he wasn't supposed to, etc. 5 days is too far a gap for me to believe it was the vaccines and nothing else. It could be the vaccine but I would also consider other causes.

Nor did the previous owner (she's not a professional breeder, not that that's an excuse, just wanted to say) mention any issues with vaccines so it's probably the rabies vaccine. It's noted in my records and the vets chart for next time. His office said they would automatically give us the pills with the vaccine next time :)
You can develop allergies to vaccines over time (repeated exposure to an allergen) however since he never reacted before it would be another reason to consider anything else he could have been exposed to. New fabric, new food, cat nip, etc. Anything and everything. Consider what he may have been exposed to directly before he began showing a reaction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts