Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to try to get all three of my girls on the same food and I decided to try to switch to Fromms. Two of my girls were/are on Taste of the Wild (lamb) and the other is on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Duck and Potato. I decided to try the Fromms Lamb & Lentil formula since it was the same protein source as the TOTW. After 4/5 days one of my girls has become very itchy to the point of me having to stop her from licking her back. If you pet her back she squirms. So I am stopping the Fromms today (was only doing half and half anyway) and hopefully she will get rid of the itchies. I have been comparing the ingredients between the two and I guess the biggest things that stand out to me is the pork in the Fromms. The other things that stand out are the lentils, chickpeas and flaxseed in Fromms, are any of those known alergens??

I would appreciate any input. Looking at the other Fromms recipes, they all seem to have pork in them so if pork is her issue, we won't be switching to Fromms.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Yes....Lars is sensitive to beef and pork based foods. He will get cow plop quality poops when he eats them. He does well on lamb and fish based foods. So, I am now feeding him Nature Variety's Prairie with salmon and brown rice. He does really well on that and so does Ocean. ;)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Acana has a duck formula, a fish formula and a lamb formula. I feed Acana because Kabota does 100% better on it. The difference is that dramatic and I'm talking versus other high protein, grain free foods.

In my experience, the most common meat allergies in dogs are #1 Chicken, #2 Beef, #3 Pork. That's only because chicken is the most common ingredient, though. I have no idea what the results would be if we fed all the meats equally to all dogs just to see.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
One of my dogs can't have flaxseed, gets super itchy. It really could be anything though... Pork is a fairly common allergen, the proteins that I don't associate with allergies would be Fish, Lamb, Venison...but even those some dogs are allergic to.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Zoey seems to get the runs on pork ingredients. I tried Dr Tims (pork blood of some type, maybe plasma) and Fromms 4 star pork recipe and both times she got the runs ... not very scientific but I now stay away from pork.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My dog does fine on Fromm Gold but when I tried him on the Lamb & Lentil he had a very similar reaction - after two days of 30% food he was licking his paws madly. I stopped the food immediately and it took around a week before the licking totally stopped.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your input. I totally forgot that I used to treat the dogs with small hot dog pieces so I don't think pork is the culprit. I am almost thinking it is either the chickpeas, the lentils or the flaxseed. Those three things are in almost all of Fromms foods. I have returned the bag and got my money back, or rather picked up a bag of their old food. Maya is still a bit itchy but not as bad as she was. I am hoping by a week out she will be back to normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts