Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are three large stores near me that allow dogs. I have been in each one with 11 month old Chloe about 8 times. In one she has had four accidents. (I was ready with paper towels and plastic bags, but still...) in the other two she has never had an accident.

The offending store is largely farm supply, so they have fertilizer, animal food, and occasionally live animals. My wife figures it smells like outdoors, so she doesn't realize she is inside.

Obviously I can just not take her into that store, but it is the most interesting of the three, so I hate to lose it. Any ideas?
Yes, I have been conscientious about letting her out before traveling. She can go 10 hours at night, so I presume this is voluntary. She hasn't had an accident in a house in 6 months.

·
Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
Another dog may have gone potty there, and the area was never properly cleaned. I don't think low shelves and walls are cleaned as often as a floor in a store, so there may be some...residue.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I don't know about females, but many males, neutered or intact, feel the need to say, "Me, too!" when they smell that another dog has announced, "I was here!"

I like going into PetsMart, as a way to help expose my dog to various environments, and an allowable place to learn manners with distractions. That's not true for all stores, but I know my neighborhood store. What I don't like, although there's no way around it, is that dogs are allowed to have accidents inside the store. So, my carefully house-trained dog learns that it's OK to pee inside, at least in PetsMart. It's not easy or even possible [?] to fully eliminate the smell from the canine super nose. And, I agree that may be your problem with Chloe ... not the general outdoor smell, but specific peed-on spots.

On the other hand, it provides me with an anticipatory training opportunity. Male dogs mark outside. I think it is an important part of the walk ... but not every single mailbox! ;-) Catching and interrupting Mikee in PetsMart has helped me tweak his pee-mail opportunities on walks.

Again, I don't know if you can catch and interrupt a female, but it may be a training opportunity?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts