Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I just bought my new rescue dog a harness from Hurtta, and I love it. She's about twenty pounds but she has a tiny neck so I thought it would be better for long term health. However, my dad thinks it's stupid. I wanted to hear your thoughts and opinions on Collars VS Harnesses?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I use a flat collar for potty breaks, but a harness for longer walks. Honestly, with a harness I fee like I have more control. If I need to move my dog away from something, it will pull directly on his body, not his little neck. And slipping a harness is much more difficult than slipping a collar. And I can be sure that he's not being hurt accidentally.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I use a harness for all three of my dogs for their walks. I also use a collar on all three to display their identification. My biggest dog Abbylynn (65lbs) does potty breaks with just a collar and so does Blu Boy (20lbs). Eddee is very small (12lbs) and I worry about his throat ... as he pulls very hard ... I use a harness on him for everything.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I prefer a harness. I know that if a dog doesn't pull, which it shouldn't, collars aren't THAT big of a deal. But for my 16lb dog, I feel like it's more comfortable for him to wear a harness. He also will gag occasionally if on a collar, so I'd prefer to avoid it. For quick potty breaks, we'll do a collar on a flexi but for most other things, it's harness. I like being able to lift him up out of trouble as well if necessary ("helicoptering" him up) and just all around feel better with one.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I like harnesses for dogs that have been trained to walk properly on them.
I don't like them for dogs that haven't been trained, namely bigger dogs. On a bigger dog that hasn't been trained properly the owner is at a huge disadvantage, and I've seen them get dragged because of it.
For smaller dogs it's not as big a deal.

Also I just like the look of a normal collar and leash. Harnesses seem odd.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I prefer to use harnesses. I don't like it when my drivey dogs try to take off after something and get snapped back by their necks. I do use collars, but usually only for short trips or if I am training in the front yard. Most anytime else I will use a harness. I use Ruff Wear harnesses, and all the dogs wear them on hikes or as vehicle restraints in the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! I showed my dad this thread, and Emily's blog. After he saw much more professional feedback on the subject he completely understands why I bought the harness! :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I like harnesses for dogs that have been trained to walk properly on them.
I don't like them for dogs that haven't been trained, namely bigger dogs. On a bigger dog that hasn't been trained properly the owner is at a huge disadvantage, and I've seen them get dragged because of it.
For smaller dogs it's not as big a deal.

Also I just like the look of a normal collar and leash. Harnesses seem odd.
I got my shoulder dislocated by a dog wearing a collar.

Harnesses may seem odd, but the risk of damage to the thyroid and trachea is reason enough to make the switch. If your dog does pull, front clip harnesses help with that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Both my dogs are on harnesses, specifically the Wonder Walker, I believe that the style is a body harness. Quincy our 13 year old beagle is on one specifically to reduce damage to his throat which is extensively damaged from collars. My only beef with these harnesses is how easily some dogs can get out of them. They are awfully fast to put on, a loop over the head, and a strap behind the front legs across the chest fixed with a Fastex buckle. I think all my future dogs will have them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts