Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice please. Should I get a puppy harness or collar for our 8 week old cockador? She's still tiny (too small I think for adult collar on lowest setting) and I think we will have to have her on a long lead in the garden so she can't escape under the fence.
Since it's all so expensive I don't really want to get both to re buy them so which would be better? (Won't be going for proper walks for several weeks until she's had vacs).

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
No matter what, I'm guessing you'll have to purchase adult sized gear for her in addition to puppy gear. What mix is a cockador? If that's going to be a bigger dog you will most definitely go through a few! It's not like you have to buy anything expensive, just get an $8 collar from Walmart and call it good until she's full grown. Because she is going to be on a long line, I would also recommend a harness just because if the takes off after something and snaps to the end of the line, that can hurt, and the long line dangling between their legs seems to kind of annoy most dogs. Again, there are cheap harnesses that will suffice until she is full grown.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I'd just grab a very basic, very cheap plain nylon harness. The "H" or "Roman" style is more secure than a step-in harness. Like $1 from the Dollar Tree store even, or $4-8 from a big box store. Use that when attached to the leash. Then the same basic flat nylon collar for her tags. Remove both when she is crated.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
What Shell said. Kiran's first actual collar and leash came from dollar tree, so. 2 dollars, total. Not like they need to last long.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Cockador is cross between Labrador and cocker spaniel but it's looking like she is more likely to be towards the cocker spaniel size in the spectrum- she's really small and super cute at the min!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Advice please. Should I get a puppy harness or collar for our 8 week old cockador? She's still tiny (too small I think for adult collar on lowest setting) and I think we will have to have her on a long lead in the garden so she can't escape under the fence.
Since it's all so expensive I don't really want to get both to re buy them so which would be better? (Won't be going for proper walks for several weeks until she's had vacs).
Get a cheap puppy collar and leash set, even in Norway you can get them down to 3-4 USD worth and that's saying a lot, since we are very expensive in general.
And then get a harness, Harness is overall better for the puppy when you are going for longer walks, and if you meet people and other dogs they can get a little excited and choke themselves quite hard on a collar.
So it's better for the dogs safety.

But yeah I'd start with both, get cheap puppy set and then a harness. That's my two cents.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone managed to borrow a puppy collar from a friend and will def be getting a cheaper harness as well now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts