Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy has been fighting the neck collar. Tried her sister's crate collar on today and it worked a lot better than the neck collar. We actually walked around the house and the backyard with it. Just an idea for anyone having problems with the neck collar.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I don't know that much about the particulars of raising small dogs, but I have heard that it's safer for smaller dogs to be walked on harnesses than regular collars. Their necks are more delicate and more susceptible to harm.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I don't know that much about the particulars of raising small dogs, but I have heard that it's safer for smaller dogs to be walked on harnesses than regular collars. Their necks are more delicate and more susceptible to harm.
JMO but I think harnesses are safer for dogs of all sizes, not only to reduce the risk of neck damage, but to prevent the dog from getting loose.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have hardly ever used the neck collar on our other dog. I had heard the thing about the neck also and quit using the neck one. The only time I have used that one was when we would take her to costume parties at Petco and I couldn't get the clothes to work with the harness collar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use a regular collar for my small dog because she doesn't seem to mind it, but my sister bought these cool harnesses for her and my dad's dogs (they are large-breed). Instead of having the leash attachment on the back, it's in the front. So when the dog pulls, the harness just turns them around. After some initial confusion (why am I going that way???), they figured out it's more in their benefit just to "go with the flow."

·
Registered
189 Posts
I use a regular collar for my small dog because she doesn't seem to mind it, but my sister bought these cool harnesses for her and my dad's dogs (they are large-breed). Instead of having the leash attachment on the back, it's in the front. So when the dog pulls, the harness just turns them around. After some initial confusion (why am I going that way???), they figured out it's more in their benefit just to "go with the flow."
Cool! Do you know what they are called? I would like to try this out and maybe recommend it to some students who I fear are going to pull their dogs' heads off of their bodies.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
You could also try the EasyWalk harness - it also attaches to the leash in front. We've used one for 2.5 years - wouldn't go without one.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I was at Petsmart recently and there ws a lab wearing a harness. Doesn't seem to affect the dogs ability to pull.

On a side note I'm ready to get creative on my dogs pulling problems. My spaniel won't pull when I'm walking him by himself. My basset will pull some. I put them together and they both pull. After starting down the block with them pulling today I went back home and put on my roller blades. They tired of pulling after about 20 mins. They will soon learn that pulling is no fun. Bwa ha ha ha ha!!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I was at Petsmart recently and there ws a lab wearing a harness. Doesn't seem to affect the dogs ability to pull.

On a side note I'm ready to get creative on my dogs pulling problems. My spaniel won't pull when I'm walking him by himself. My basset will pull some. I put them together and they both pull. After starting down the block with them pulling today I went back home and put on my roller blades. They tired of pulling after about 20 mins. They will soon learn that pulling is no fun. Bwa ha ha ha ha!!

Either that, or you'll have some really toned dogs! Moihahahaha...more exercise=More muscles and stamina...haha

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
My idea is that once they get so pooped that I'm pulling them, then I will click/treat and they'll get the idea that walking behind me or beside me is a good thing. Either that or I'll trade 'em both in for a pair of huskies. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another good harness is the Sens-ible harness made by Soft Touch Concepts. It also has a front-loop attach point. Tucker used to hank my arm off when he wanted to go where I didn't. With the harness, I can control him with one finger (I kid you not). He now wears a Gentle Leader Head Collar, which works even better, though I know there are folks out there who don't like them. With a 90 pound dog, I need all the help I can get until he's trained.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a yellow Lab, about 9 months old now. Her neck compared to her head is huge. Even with the mildest tug backwards she slips it right off.

We tried a harness recently. That lasted about 30 minutes. She grabbed it somehow with her mouth and fumbled around banging her head into everything trying to get it off. In 30 minutes, she had it in 3 pieces on the floor and was happily chewing it up.

If we walk with a harness, she will drag whoever is walking her down the road. She'll yank my 8 year old right off her feet. If we walk with a regular neck collar, she will happily walk right beside me because if she pulls, it will choke her and she doesn't like that at all.

I prefer the neck collar because I just let her out in the yard. She is content to hang out on the back or front porch, or sniff around in the pine trees that line the back of the yard in search of yummy tree branches. We live out in the country with 300 acre of field behind us and neighbors in front and to one side. I have never seen her leave our yard except when she was just a new pup. My wife on the other hand doesn't like to just let her out and wants to tie her to the porch on a nice long lead. I would bet that before the door is closed and my wife is inside, the neck collar is slipped and she is off the lead.

She seems perfectly happy with a neck collar if she's not tied up. But a harness she bumbles around trying to get a hold of it until she can chew it off. The only issue with the neck collar except for the being tied up is when the kids play with her, they like to mess with the collar and it slips off. Once off, it's just a matter of minutes until it is in several pieces.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had a Bull Mastiff who could pulled me a country mile when wearing a regular neck collar.I bought her a thick harness and her pulling ceased.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts