Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been debating on getting Nug a harness for hikes- esp in situations where I need a little boost up and he could help me. Thinking it might help me start getting back out again after health stuff since I'm not always with it enough to do the hikes they love without another person. Only issue is that he swims at every hike, and I'm not interested in curtailing it because he loves swimming :p

So something probably non leather, not too expensive, but pref with a handle on the top for me and interested more in the sort of "working" style versus the step in or H types... dont know how to explain it, but this sort of thing with one strap across front of chest:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251751762640?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

Has anyone used this one? seems decent from what I saw but didn't just want to buy the first one i saw. Looked at the ruffwear ones but they would end up being so heavy/a catch risk in the water when he swims I dont think they're the right fit for us.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I actually really prefer the ruffwear. They are sturdy and wear well over time even when being beaten during hiking and swimming. What is most important to me is that they allow for normal shoulder movement, even when the dog is pulling you up and over rocks or just across uneven ground. The straps fit snug to the body so it really shouldn't snag on things. I do know people who use JK9 harnesses for service dogs but I am leery of using anything that goes across the shoulders and chest for when my dog needs to actually do any mobility work. Ruffwear has a newer harness out that is made for S&R, you probably don't need to go that far though, I like that it has small packs. It is on the body of the webmaster.

I do have a hurtta padded harness which crosses the chest. I like that harness, it is well made and has a nice handle but I won't continue using it when Lad is old enough for actual mobility work. Hurtta has a new harness out this year http://hurtta.com/EN/Products/Harnesses/Active Harness/ The active harness. I've looked at this one a good bit too.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
I have that harness for Molly, and I love it. It's super easy on and off, it has the handle which even as small as she is I use a lot, there are spots for flashlights, you can customize the patches, and it's super, duper well made. I have seen no gait/mobility issues related to the strap - she actually ran agility in it tonight (because I didn't take it off between runs, in spite of it being easy, because I like being able to grab the handle if I need to at this stage). I don't think I could be happier with it.

That said, I would have serious concerns about leaving it on long after swimming. She HAS gone swimming in it, for sure, and it didn't damage the harness, but it would trap an awful lot of moisture so I can see it leading to hotspots if the dog wore the thing for an hour or so after swimming, and continued their hike. Then again, that would be true or any harness of any material that had much coverage/wasn't made of mesh. So that's probably something you should consider overall.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Oh wait. No. That's not the harness I have. I have another Julius IDC harness. That all of the above applies to. I know nothing about that one, personally, but it looks like a good choice to me.

And hey, less concerns about the water thing.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I have a ruffwear I use on Manna for counter balance and mobility stuff. It's sturdy I'll give it that but I think the placement of the handle on the julius k9 would work better (horizontal vs vertical on the back) I'm actually debating modifying my ruffwear though because of how awesomely it fits Manna. The patches on the julius are tempting as well though.

Yeah I'm not much of a help am I? lol

·
Registered
11,239 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Oh wait. No. That's not the harness I have. I have another Julius IDC harness. That all of the above applies to. I know nothing about that one, personally, but it looks like a good choice to me.

And hey, less concerns about the water thing.
We have this for our Kenji and it has been great. Well made, holds up to vigorous use, easy to put on and take off.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
What about the Ruff Wear Front Range? No handle, but you can grab the harness itself like a handle. Much smaller and lighter than their standard ones.

ETA: I like that new Hurtta one. Looks a lot like the Front Range but with a handle.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Get one made! :)
I'm sure there are others out there, but I can definitely vouch for Indi-Dog; really well made, strong stuff.
She does a variety of different types of harness, and you can have neoprene padding for swimming. Shoot her a message and I'm sure she could make one with a handle, add extra straps etc :)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
What about the Ruff Wear Front Range? No handle, but you can grab the harness itself like a handle. Much smaller and lighter than their standard ones.

ETA: I like that new Hurtta one. Looks a lot like the Front Range but with a handle.
I just wanted to update that I got the new Hurtta harness for Lad (because I have a gear problem) and I really love it.

Big differences I see between it and the Front range are;
color choices, there really aren't any yet (Hurtta does tend to eventually come out with a few and release limited edition harnesses so I will be watching for those in the future),
size, it covers a bit more of the body but not a whole lot. I got a large and it is a touch big on Lad but he is still growing. I could have gotten a smaller size but he might have outgrown it as he filled out. I like the way this sits on him.
Handle, I love that it has a handle. Lad is tall enough that the handle is in the perfect place for me. I do love the handle on the Webmaster, feel wise, but it does run an odd direction for use for support (Lad is not old enough to give me any support yet with the exception of leaning against my leg and picking up items I have dropped or need). I may add a pull strap (probably paracord maybe with neoprene over top) connected to the leash clip if I want him to do any serious pulling in this harness but right now I only intend for him to use it for hiking so mostly off duty stuff.
Material, this is neoprene with a mesh backing, it isn't as thick as a ruffwear harness so probably better for swimming.

·
Registered
203 Posts
We have the Julius IDC, and I can only say good things about it, so I can only imagine that the belt harness would be great as well! I would recommend this type of harness for anyone. Even if you have any issues with it, just call customer service and they will take care of it for you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts