Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any good harness out there made for small dogs? We are going camping in a few week, and I prefer using a harness to just the collar.
He is a 10lb. poodle/schnauzer mix. Right now we have a cute little harness, that he can pop himself right out of!! :doh:

Working on come and stay but not enough to trust him at a campground. The size we have is xx-small, so can't go any smaller. I realize I don't need the big easy leader I had with my last dog. But everything for the small dogs is very cute, but not what I need. With this he turns around, gives a good tug backwards and out he comes!
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
You could try a cat harness - the type that have one loop around the neck and one loop around the torso. It wouldn't be great if you're concerned about putting pressure on his trachea (I have a small pom and he's just too delicate for his kitty harness), but I doubt he would be able to get out of it.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
If he slips out of a normal harness, have a look at the ruffwear webmaster. Supposed to be escape proof.

The puppia harnesses and the hurtta pro harness are good too, but I don't know how they would work for a dog that likes to escape....

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Eddee is only 12 pounds and I have a very hard time finding harnesses that fit him ... he also has a longer body and smaller neck ... :/ I found that the adjustable harnesses made by "Coastal" do wonders! They adjust very well! I use the size "small" for Eddee ... and they are in a moderate price range ... in many colors and under $10. I buy them at TSC. :D

Your dog is adorable BTW!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use a Roman style harness on my 5 lbs pom. They sell them everywhere (petsmart, Walmart, Perform, etc.) I've used them with all my dogs over the years (chow, chow mixes, pomeranians, poodle, schnauzer) and NEVER had on escape from them.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Molly is just 13 lbs and I also had a hard time finding a harness to fit her, esp. when she was a puppy. I have a sewing machine so I ended up altering her puppy harness to make it small enough to fit her. If you or a friend has a sewing machine, it's pretty easy to cut out a section and stitch the ends back together. I went back & forth over the seam many, many times to make sure the join was safe & secure. Since it's a very quick job, the tailor at your dry cleaner may also be willing to do it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I LOVE the ruffwear harness ' I got my boys. They are pricey but I think worth it. The pull is evenly distributed so it doesn't hurt their neck and it has a great handle on it which helps getting them in and out of husbands truck or in the instance I need to grab them up for safety. They are escape proof which was great for the pup too, he tried pulling out of everything.

DSC02909.jpg
(I dont know why my photos on here come out so small =/ sorry you cant see it as well)

heres the link http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-Harness_2

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have 2 small Shih Tzu pups, just 6 months old. One is 6lbs and the other is 8.5 lbs. I found these harnesses at Wal-mart, 9.99 each, size we got XS and they have a velcro close along with a quick snap with two rings for lease. They are soft and comfy. Our girls seem to like them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the ideas!
I love those ruffwear harnesses! Little out of my budget right now, but I would love to get one eventually!
I want to check out the Coastal's, I like the way it is fitting on Eddee. Looks like it would be hard to wiggle out of. Of course I'm also jealous he gets to go sailing! LOL

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah my husband threw a fit when I told him how much I paid for the ruffwear but the way I saw it if my dog lives even only 10yrs its like 5bucks a year for an amazing harness =)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts