Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to this site and new to these sweet little pups. I cant wait on friday we get our littleman homefinally after 6 wks of waiting we have decided to call him harley. My 3 1/2 yr old son said his name should be motorcycle so hes settling with harley being and acceptable alternative lol.

Harley os a a smooth clear red dapple and the sweetest little guy. We are so excited to be getting him from someone we know and i have seen a great dealof her puppies and know her adult pups as well.

We do plan on crate training harley and we are thrilled that our breeeder has the time to get this process started with the help of the older dogs. The puppies just follow suit with them and the people i have spoken to know they have gotten their pups from our breeder says their pup wher so easy to train because thats something she tries very hard to give them the basics of before they come home. Though i know we have along road ahead.

i ama single mom of 2 my daughter is 5 and is on the autism spectrum and my son is 31/2 and he is all out boy lol. So harley is going to be a very very busy puppy.

when he comes home he is coming home with a bag of puppy food he is being fed now which is iams. Thats the only problem i have so within the first month we have him we are gradually switching him to a no grain diet. We have decided to go with taste of the wild. Before seperating with my ex husband we fostered many dogs and where asked by the local shelter to help train dogs that just wherent dogs anymore from sever abuse neglect or such and we found that no grains foods are just the best, though i have not tried taste of the wild before i cannot get my brand i used for years where i live now i am sure i can order it but it was very very expensive so i really want to try taste of the wild first so any suggestions or experience with this food i would love to hear about.
i plan on feeding harley 3 times a day at the same times i have my meals with a few minutes of training before he gets his meal(so i can use his food as his treat, housebreaking he gets his special treat not his food) and than a couple hours before bed once i get the other kiddies settled i plan on doing a bit longer training with just a couple tid bits of food to hold him over the night.

Also if there is anything special i should know about training these wee weiners will be appreciated also as i am used to larger breeds and doggies with special mental needs im nervous i will fail harley as he is not a special need puppy and yes the guidlines are the same but alot of special needs doggies its kinda fly by your seat and hope it works and alot of patience and mostly once you get those dogs trust they willdoanything for you and i am scared as harley si a puppy it will be alot different becasue his trust of me is already there as he knows no different.

Also to mention our breeders pups all come fromher home they do not have a seperate kennelseperate from house they live in the house with constent interactions with family and constent runs outside every hr and if messes are made inside and she sees who did mess she puts in crate and they allgo out again 15 minutes later with the pup who made the boo boo on floor.

So i am fairly certain ill have a very well rounded puppy, but again i wouldlove any andall suggestions or info i can be given.
i know this is lengthy and i am sorry but i figured id introduce ourselves at same time as asking for advice. plus im just too darn excited i still had to reign myself in this could of been alot longer lol download (11).jpg download (8).jpg download (16).jpg
the picture im posting is of my little darling our breeder emailed it to me he is about 5 wks in the pictures. the one he is on blue clothe is from when he was a week to 2 weeks old.
:wink:

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
How old with Harley be when he comes home? I got a doxie mix from the shelter at just under 8 wks old, and I WISH he was more like 12 wks when we got him so he could have spent more time with his litter to learn some bite inhibition, but you don't have that sort of luxury at the shelter. If he's on the younger side, I'd see if he could stay with his litter until he's something like 12 weeks. Have you gotten to meet him and the parents and the litter mates and the breeder? If I was buying from a breeder, I would definitely want to meet everyone involved.

With two young children, I'd put a lot of training focus on bite inhibition and handling. Doxies are notorious for being difficult to housebreak. Mine hasn't been so bad, but again, not purebred by any means. I take him to the local dachshund meetup groups and so many owners say how difficult it was to housebreak, and how independent they can be (in that if they want to do something, they're going to do it regardless of what you want!). Start puppy classes and try to find some dog social groups ASAP! They've both been great for Hamilton.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i have met the breeeder i actually used to work with her years back. Harleys mom i have met years ago his dad is one of her new additions so i have met him yet. I have also met harley (his dad was at vet getting shots when i stopped in to visit). Harley is going to be about 8 wks when we get him also so i will definetly get my old training books out and target biting. i have gotten him a kong already for teething and to redirect any nipping or biting behaviour he might have. Thanks for the advice though i really didnt think biting was going to be a huge issue i figured it be same asmost pups playing, but i willput extra care into that. Maybe even book a couple private trianing lessons for him with my local trainer just to refresh me better.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I asked the vet about Hamilton's biting the first few visits, and she told me it wasn't bad at all for a puppy his age -- and it was constant, and his teeth were razor sharp. He didn't bite hard, but his serrated puppy teeth pierced skin no problem. Biting has been our #1 issue with him, and he's not a mean or aggressive dog in the least, it's all been play and exploration biting. He had no interest in even the smallest kong until recently as they were just too big for his mouth. We also had nylabones, petstages blue chewies, stuffed toys, rope toys, etc... One of his favourite things when he was very small were kitten chewies, though he'd never be allowed to play with one without us holding it because of the choking risk. You could not touch or play iwth the dog without something in your hand to go in his mouth because you would get bit. He's 4.5 months now and it's decreased significantly, but in that first month especially it was like living with a pirahna. With kids especially you have to be careful because shrieking, running away, fast movements (flailing, pulling limbs away, etc...) is REALLY EXCITING to a puppy and makes them think you're into the "game." Be prepared to train the kids too! Really though, his parents and siblings are the best teachers for bite inhibition - if you're good friends with the breeder, is there any way he could stay with them until he's a few weeks older?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
normally she would be able to keep them longer for new puppy parents asking her to without a problem, but right now she owns 4 females and she has 2 of her females due within the next couple weeks basically days apart from each other, which i can understand that when you already have 4 of your own dogs plus 5 pups and plus who knows how many more coming she's going to have her hands full as it is. her 3 males (ones retired from breeding but is still active in that department) live with ehr ex husband.
normally she only breeds 2 of her females once a year and her males live with her ex husband but soemthing happened and he ended up in the hopsital so she had to bring the males to her house and the 2 that werent due this year for pups is having pups.
the kong i have purchased is for extra small puppy breeds and is just the right size for him now it is very very tiny,because due to circumstances of coming home before 12 weeks i already knew we would have some biting and chewing play but i will be extra aware of it being more extreme than i expected, plus i also have a timeout area that is not his crate. so if biting gets to exptreme than he will go to his time out area. timeout areas worked very well in our rehibilition training we did with our damaged dogs,so i would assume a timeout area would work well with a pup as well because they just want to be with you so bad.
something i do remember when i was going through my training course is a contiversay biting treatment that os of yet i have never used but have heard of great success with it. if you have a constent nipper spray some lemon juice in their mouth while they are latched to you and they will learn biting is a bad taste and stop. I have used before a spray bottle of water and give them a squirt in the face and same concept the shock of the water they learn biting is bad. Kinda like cats but as dogs like water its more the shock of it they will stop bitting pull back, but if used regularly they become expecting the squit so not great success if its your only defence. always followed with a word like no or no bite if lemon or water is used.

I am still going to schedual a couple private training classes so i can have trainer all to myself than look into group classes if i find i am still struggling with all round training.

he will also have lots of socialization as i walk everyday myself and i walk by the dog park which is a very busy dog park with its own special puppy area so he will be going daily to that which i think will proably help with his biting as well because i dont think the other pups will stand for him nipping at their heals.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Welcome! I have a miniature dachshund, too, and a dachshund-chihuahua mix.

As for the biting, check out the sticky at the top of one of the forum pages, it's called "The Bite Stops Here." It basically advises that you should make a noise when the puppy bites/nips to let them know you didn't like it. If they go right back to biting/nipping (which they usually do :) ) you make the noise again, but this time you also leave the room, not allowing them to follow. Only leave for 20-30 seconds, as if you are gone longer than that, they forget why you left, and that doesn't teach them anything.

The noise usually recommended is a yelp (like a puppy would do if you accidentally stepped on it's paw). BUT, for some pups, that high pitched noise only gets them more excited, and they bite more. So, some people go with a loud, but not angry OUCH!
Leaving the room shows them that contact with you absolutely ends if they bites.

The thing is, you have to be super consistent. You're not just trying to teach them to stop biting for that instant, you're trying to teach them a life long skill of not nipping/biting. That takes time and repetition. Lots of folks try one method, think it isn't working, so they give up and try something else. That just confuses the puppy, and doesn't give it long enough to work.

I would NOT recommend using the spray bottle of water, and definitely not the lemon juice. You want to build a relationship of trust with your puppy. Also, puppies are like infants, and doing something harsh like using the water to the face or the lemon juice is, in my opinion, to harsh for an "infant". Plus, there are other, non aversive ways to accomplish the same thing, that will leave your puppy's trust in you intact.

As for other puppies not standing for the nipping, at the dog park, nipping is a form of play, my adult dogs to it when they play. So, I wouldn't count on other dogs putting him in his place. And, puppies have a "puppy license" which means adult dogs usually accept more bad behavior from puppies than they would from older dogs....

Good luck with your little guy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yes i have no intentions of using the water or the lemon juice, i do believe it is a situation that could be used for older dogs anyways but even than i wouldnt use it. I would try the time out first ok you bite i dont play with you. kinda like your say ouch or yip if continues walk out for a short time where they cant follow you. If after a lengthy time that doesnt work than i would get in contact with a trainer and see our options from there that can be incorperated with the yip and time out, but again that would be a its to the extreme biting situation.

the puppies at the dog park i ment might help incorperate ok wellmom doesnt like that i dont like this pup biting me it could just be an inforcer. i had no intentions of ever believeing taking him to dog park twice a day would solve a biting problem.

i do appologize its hard to get my thoughts straight sometimes with 2 little ones running round.

but i am certainly taking everyones advice and i am adding them to my training plan for him. i am sure everything will go great im just soo nervous with a small breed big sturdy big brreeds i know and harley is coming home weighing 2 lbs lol. im scared lol

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
normally she would be able to keep them longer for new puppy parents asking her to without a problem, but right now she owns 4 females and she has 2 of her females due within the next couple weeks basically days apart from each other, which i can understand that when you already have 4 of your own dogs plus 5 pups and plus who knows how many more coming she's going to have her hands full as it is. her 3 males (ones retired from breeding but is still active in that department) live with ehr ex husband.
Yikes.

A lot of good advice here. The one thing I always tell new Dachshund owners is that they are dynamite in a small package. Socialization is ridiculously important with Dachshunds. They aren't meant to be lap dogs and there are way too many temperamentally unsound Dachshunds out there already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts