Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ones you see in pet stores.

Thoughts?

Do you give them to your dogs? If so, is it a hit? If not, why?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember weight bearing bones as being a general no no. Don't they tend to chip teeth and the like? I could have it backwards though, I'm honestly not well versed in the whole raw/bone feeding thing.

Aside from that though, I don't advise giving bones from the pet store. Most of them are treated in something, be it flavor, chemical, etc. You'd be much better off just giving fresh raw bones to your dogs.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
the bones you get in the pet store are cooked, unless you get them from the freezer in the pet store. i don't give any cooked bones, no one should, they are dangerous.

before we switched to raw feeding we did give iorek a couple of meaty bones from the freezer at the pet store here, they sell raw food. the bones we gave him were weight bearing bones but i only let him have them until the meat and marrow was gone and then i took them away. since we have switched to raw the only weight bearing bones i will give are chicken legs! :) but that is just my opinion.

i agree with dakota spirit with the chemicals and additives as well.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Raw bones are the ones you want. The ones from the pet store are not raw but, IF the dog is only a light chewer and won't actually break the bone it would be ok under supervision.
Weight bearing bones from large animals can cause tooth damage if the dog happens to be an aggressive chewer. Otherwise, they're ok as recreational bones under supervision.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
When dogs gnaw on hard bones they can cause slab fractures of the large back teeth. Not good. Also price. Sure you can keep cooked bones around but they are expensive, $5-10 or so. I can go to the market and buy a rack of beef ribs for $1.50 a pound. Two ribs per pound, $.75 chews. I take off the little wiggly bone at the top just in case and the ripping of meat and bone sheath stuff really cleans teeth. My old girl can chew for 45 minutes and clean it pretty well. My raw fed dog isn't safe with these as he thinks he can eat any bone now. A couple lamb or pork ribs are completely edible and take a while to crunch up for him.

·
Banned
617 Posts
I don't give them those things or pretty much anything from pet stores for the same reasons others have said.

Go buy a fresh rack of beef ribs instead. :D

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies. I happen to agree with you on this one.

I give them raw beef rib slabs. I actually have a pack in the fridge right now :) (shhh, I think they KNOW)

They are small though and the dogs really don't get to the marrow, they just rip off all the meat. Any bones they can actually GET the marrow out of?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts