Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When can I give me 12week GSD "hard" toys? He has a lot of rubbery chew toys, but he seems to like chewing on harder things such as the center plastic of his figure-8 rope toy, car seat buckles, etc. I was thinking he might like one of those "galileo" bones, but I don't want to hurt/insure his teeth.

Also, when will he start losing his teeth and getting his adult teeth?

Thanks

·
Registered
334 Posts
Inbetween 4 and 7 months is the average age for teething, however some puppies will lose their puppy teeth faster than others.

A good "hard" toy to have in your puppies toybox is:

Nylabone toys - they make their orginal nylon toys which are quite hard to the touch. (their puppy specific and 'guma' toys might be too soft for a dog with such a hard mouth)

They make bone shapes, wishbones, rings etc.

They also make the 'galileo" which is their strongest bone.

Lots of puppies like their double action chews as well.

Here's a good link to look through, and you can call the pet stores in your area to see what they sell.

http://www.nylabone.com/

I also like giving my dogs the digestible chews (snouts, tendons, trachae's etc) the big thing is going to be ensuring that your dog is chewing them safely, and if he's a dog that will likely swallow the bone lengthwise, or when he gets it down to a small peice, shove it into a rubber toy so that he can only eat what's sticking out.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am sorry, I am not an artist, but I tried my best to show what I meant by putting a digestible chew into a rubber toy.

A kong 'wubba' rubber toy is what I use for my dog that inhales everything, that way she can chew it, I don't have to eagle-eye her the whole time she's chewing on it, and everyones safe.

(pretend the thing that looks like poopie is really a beef chew LOL!)

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Meghan thanks for the response. Since my first post I bought one of the galileo bones. What I was wondering though is if it is safe for him to use it at this age (with his puppy teeth), as opposed to the softer toys.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You need to give him toys for his toybox that are the consistency that he likes.

All of the teeth he has now are going to fall out anyway. No there's no real benifit to chewing on a hard bone - it doesn't really stimulate the gumline, it certaintly doesn't clean the teeth. But nylon nylabones don't wear down dogs teeth, so I wouldn't be concerned. Plus, if it keeps him off of your table legs - that's worth it, right?

The biggest thing is - NEVER THROW A HARD TOY for your dog to catch!! It could knock their teeth out and make them see stars! Make sure that you're only tossing the light rubber and plush, and save the solid rubber, nylon, and smoked bones on the ground :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts