Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry in advance for the long post. I figured more information was better!

Our 14 year old Miniature Schnauzer, Toby, had Oral Melanoma and had to have his lower right jaw removed last September. His tongue now just falls out of his mouth and hangs down the right side of his face and often gets very dry (living in hot and dry Arizona doesn't help) but he's also pretty good about getting lots of water.

After the surgery it took him about a week to really figure out how to eat and drink again. We hand fed him and squirted water down his throat to supplement the little that he was getting on his own.

But, then he figured it all out and started doing great. We switched his food ratio to about 70% wet food (Natural Balance canned) and 30% Small Bites kibble and rolled them into marble+ sized balls. For the last 9 months, he has done pretty good sucking them up and getting them down although it's never been easy.

All of the sudden, in just the last 4 or 5 days, he's not able to get them down on his own at all. Even when we hand feed him and push them (the marble size food balls) toward the back of his mouth they just fall out most of the time. Over a period of 20+ minutes we can usually force about 75% of his normal meal down but every bite is a struggle and takes several attempts.

It doesn't appear to be an appetite thing. He sits there and tries and tries, either on his own or with our help. He clearly wants to eat and appears to be as frustrated as we are.

Last night we tried a refrigerated fresh food that is a bit bigger and chewy (Freshpet Select). He sure seemed to really enjoy the taste, but again, he had a hard time actually getting them to go down. They would go into his mouth and then fall out before he could swallow.

Obviously, not being able to eat is a major problem. I'm all ears to any and all suggestions that anyone may have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry your dog isn't doing well! My suggestion would be to take him back to the vet. The fact that he isn't eating suddenly when he was doing alright before is, IMO, a sign of pain. In the meantime, continue to hand-feed and syringe water him. Also, I would cut the kibble. There is really no reason for him to have any kibble in his diet when he has trouble eating it.

Hope he gets better!

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I agree, it sounds like there's a new problem that could be causing him pain and he should see a vet.
I also agree about cutting the kibble altogether. I might even go as far as not only watering him with the syringe but syringe feeding him pate because the little bit being squeezed from the syringe might be easier for him to hold onto and swallow.

Definitely get him into a vet.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
After the vet visit, you can try grinding up his kibble in a blender or food processor, adding warm water till it makes a slurry and then using a large syringe squirt it in the back of his mouth- let him swallow, go slowly. I use ground, moistened kibble like that for my megaesophagus chihuahua. She's able to eat just fine, but this has been the best soution even over canned food to help food get into her stomach.

Good luck with your sweetie!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
First, as others said, is a vet visit to rule out any medical reasons. If everything there is fine, I would do what fourdogs suggested, soak the kibble and mix with the wet food and warm water. Blender/food processor if needed, syringe if needed but he may be able to lap it up. Make it like milk/heavy cream consistency.

Good luck, and please do update us!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts