Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh happy day!

About a month ago we adopted a sweet rescue Rigel (mid size energetic 1yo), and have been keeping him pretty close to home (walks around the neighborhood, one trip to our vet for a meet and greet) while we get to know him and his personality.

He's shown leash aggression while we run or walk around the hood towards people or other dogs, but just likes to play and play with our golden (and his foster family said he got along well with their boxers and small dogs), so I was nervous to take him out in public.

I'm working from home today to help him adjust to some crate anxiety and had to run an errand to Home Depot (for some cabinet locks... :) and rather than putting him in a crate or letting him be free in the house, I decided I would take he and our Golden along for the ride.

After they behaved like angels during my 10 minutes in Home Depot I decided to take him to PetSmart to see how he'd do in that environment - knowing full well we may have to turn around and walk out if he behaved with any anxiety, (our golden stays in the car in strange places so I just had him) and he was amazing!!! He stayed next to me in the store, sniffing all the nice smells, helped me pick out some new toys and training treats, didn't lunge at the two patrons or the one worker in the store and was perfectly calm while I checked out. I am on cloud nine. I can't believe how calm and well behaved he was. A little pulling at the leash, but a few corrections and 'right here' and he snapped back. Holy smokes!

He was probably just distracted by all the yummy treats and toys, but I'll take it! Baby steps.

Now he and Lyra are enjoying their well deserved USA made treats. good day people - good day!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
That's fantastic! Going into stores is not easy!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Sans is a complete good in store and in most buildings. I may or may not have reinforced this by letting it happen without correction... but the amount of times we're in a store or something are fairly minimal. She's just over exuberant.
Congratulations that's great! Store environments can be pretty over stimulating a lot of the time!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts